VW Tiguan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment, there is a shortage with Bilstein shocks, I've got mine on order but have been waiting 3 weeks and no sign of them yet. I can however get a hold of another set, but the description says for off road vehicles. What would be the difference? Would they work ok with standard spring height. I don't want any bounce or lift.

Thanks

·
Administrator
3,103 Posts
Most likely they will be firmer so it will firm up the ride.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive just been on the phone to the supplier of my shocks, the ones i want wont be in for another week at least, my cars been off the road for a month now. I really dont know weather to just fit the off road shocks and go with that. Ive taken them out of the box and they do feel very stiff to compress, but i dont do a lot of driving so maybe i could live with it?

·
Administrator
3,103 Posts
New shocks will always be stiff compared to an older blown one. Of you don't mind a stiffer rode it will probably be okay. Be advised you will feel just about everything on the road.. made the mistake of putting a set of gas charged shocks on an old truck over a set of oil filled factory ones. And it was bad. Felt like riding in a tank.. promptly removed them and installed OE spec.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, Bilstein still not arrived, still not happy!

Ive managed to get a different pair of shocks, if they fit, ill cancel the Bilstein order. The new shocks are Sachs, garage said they'll fit my car, looked up part online it says there for a Q3. No big deal i know parts are interchangeable in these manufacturers.

Problem is these are 10mm shorter than what is on my car, will that play a massive difference? I can probably wait another week if i have to, but id rather get sorted if i can.

·
Administrator
5,960 Posts
10mm shorter means they will be operating in a different range on the travel. Some shocks have a large travel distance from 'center'. others don't. It is only an issue if you hit the end point over a large bump or dip. Hitting the end point is what physically damages the shock. Normal driving over reasonable roads that don't look like the moon should not be an issue

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what ive read online, 10mm isnt necessarily a problem. the internals of the strut might be different, as you say Shawng shouldnt affect normal driving. I will hold on to them for a week, if the Bilsteins turn up i will compare and go from there. So fed up of not having the car on the road, luckily we have another!

Eurocarparts are pretty shit as well, so far this will be the second set theyve sold incorrectly.

·
Administrator
5,960 Posts
Covid induced delays plague every industry. We have had a set of rims on order since January.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my shocks came today!! Got one fitted tonight after a few hours messing around. Lower ball joints on these cars are huge! my removal tool wouldn't go around it. Will have to wait until tomorrow now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts