VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and thanks for letting me join!

I’ve been looking at new cars and nothing has taken my fancy so I thought I update my 65 plate Tiguan. It’s a 2.0l TDI and I have around £1000 to play with.

I was thinking of a proper valet (it’s been used a tip trip car for 18 months!), chipping the car (I think that’s the term!) and replacing the stereo to start with.

What would you do?

thanks 🙏

· Premium Member
5,898 Posts
1: I wouldn’t chip it.
2: I’m a cheap Jack so I’d spend a weekend cleaning and polishing it myself.
3: A new stereo maybe, but only if the existing one has issues as you’re likely then going to need speakers and maybe an amp and then a sub and then a ……. $2,000 later !!!

So now I’ve saved you $1,000 what next ?? I’d spend the money getting it serviced and checked from end to end, replace old brake fluid, check all the future expensive things like cam belt and tensioner, water pump, hoses etc etc. Then if I had some cash left I’d spend it on wild women and booze …. any left then I’d just waste lol.

· Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
390 Posts
As above, unless it really is spare cash, dont spend it on a car. You wont get any return!

Go on a holiday instead i would say.

Edit, if your stereo is basic i would upgrade to one with carplay/android auto.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies - would love to clean it myself but unfortunately my running hobby prevents me from doing it as I need to sit in front of the fire and sleep instead 😆

Stereo is a definite unless I can buy the SD card to enable CarPlay - I know it can be but I’m assuming it may be too old for the newer phones, plus I’d like a WiFi one instead.

So it’s a no to the mapping? Not worth it?

can you update the front light housings to LED?

thanks again

· Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,488 Posts
Changing the light modules for LED is a major bit of work, control module changes and coding required. If you have standard halogen bulbs the best upgrade for lights is replacing with night breaker or similar (lots of discussions in here) they give an impressive amount of light for not a lot of money or time.

Putting LED aftermarket bulbs in a major no no as they're not designed for the reflectors in the car so, yes white light, but badly scattered and unfocussed. No improvement in seeing ahead and major blinding of oncoming cars.

Also on here several threads about replacing the standard head unit without loosing functionality. Do some searching and reading, this forum goes back forever and there's loads of excellent information here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts