VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a very long time putting up with a musty smell in our 2014 Tiguan, I had a go at clearing everything out, putting some powder on the seats and carpets then vacuuming after a few hours, thinking it was just the seats that got damp due to us using the car for dog trips, but also standing for long periods of time (less driving due to COVID). However, as I was vacuuming the rear passenger footwell, I noticed some droplets appear on the carpet, the vacuum seemed to bring it up through the carpet. I then used our wet/dry vac and held it in one spot and got a lot of water out, so I'm assuming there is a lot more and that it may be under the carpets in all of the footwells.

Does anyone have any instructions or images/video on how to check that the drainage pipes for the car (it doesn't have a sunroof) are clear or how to clear them? Then I need to figure out how to dry it out - it's no longer under warranty and I assume VW will want a big whack of cash to do the work and replace the carpets and soundproofing.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Use our handy search function and look up sunroof leaks. We have a handful of them. It does require the removal of the headliner to clear the rear drains and make sure the coupling isn't broken. There needs to be a class action suit on this issue as it's plagued VWs since 1996.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use our handy search function and look up sunroof leaks. We have a handful of them. It does require the removal of the headliner to clear the rear drains and make sure the coupling isn't broken. There needs to be a class action suit on this issue as it's plagued VWs since 1996.
The OP stated it doesn't have a sunroof . . .

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My post specifically mentioned 'without a sunroof' :)

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
196 Posts
Try this :

I wrote it myself after having similar problems,.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
My apologies late nights and a bit of my dyslexia kicked in. Lol. I get the water on the rear door sills and have yet to find it's source. But it's never entered the cabin. I've been told it runs down and collects there from around the door seals. I've never seen any traces of the doors filling up or leaking around the door panels. I so have a friend with a golf R Tin Top we found his rear floors were wet and it was coming from one of the kids over the fuel pumps had come undone allowing water into the rear compartment while driving in the rain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try this :

I wrote it myself after having similar problems,.
Thanks! I'll have a look at that as well :)

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
A potential solution in this thread - post #23 >>> Leaking Doors

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
ONOFF, any other link for those like me that are not on Facebook?

·
myTiguan Master
4,719 Posts
ONOFF, any other link for those like me that are not on Facebook?
Come on OD I know your ancient but even my ninety year old mum does face book lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Hmmm, maybe she could teach me how to use it. ;)

·
myTiguan Master
4,719 Posts
Reactions: stevey83 and tricky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So update, had a valeter in today to clean and treat the car inside and see where is wet. It's the passenger side front footwell and rear footwell, so now I'm going to concentrate on the aircon condensate hose and drain valve. Hope I don't destroy my car undoing the trim panels!

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
196 Posts
Take plenty of pics and let us know how you get on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts