VW Tiguan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes I came to conclusion it was a seam in the corner under the lights as my water ran out through the seams, without stripping the bumper off no way to get to it easily so creepin-jack trickled down gutter solved my issue.

I agree that on a modern vehicle and one with a VW badge the amount of fixes i've need to do and the amount of visits to the dealer (current warranty work bill £6000!!!) plus i've repaired the leaking sunroof, this leak (because VW couldn't find/sort them), replaced my auto-dimming mirror (apparently not covered?!).

As a family we've had VW's for 40 years and they've all been bulletproof....until now. In the coming months I may need a truckcab but I certainly won't be going to VW to look at the Amorak!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sadly the leak is still there after little rain nothing and even after washing nothing, but as soon as i move the car the water comes back into the boot. so it must be storing somewhere up above. The main dealer is going to pick it up next week and hang on to it until they really do find the leak. at the moment i have an old sock filled with cat litter to absorb it. Am really fed up as now I seem to have inherited a really creaky B pillar. I have tried everything to stop the creaking over bumpy roads,(and there are a lot of them) to no avail. Anyone else had the same toruble. its either the drivers door or the seat belt area. thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For what it's worth in what appears to be a plethora of leak points, I am 99.9% convinced I have finally sourced the origin of my particular leak! The fixings holding the bumper on (just below the tail light mounting fixings) have rubber type washers which the one above the aforementioned cubby hole, has a small split in it. Having resorted to a small amount of mastic to test the leak theory all now seems well. Having subjected the car to gallons of water, trips in the rain plus the obvious downpour I am please to report no evidence of water ingress.

Just thought that for others who will undoubtedly face similar issues, this post will at least point to one source!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, had this problem with a 2012 model and it appeared again with this one, I fixed the first one and have done the same to this one and it seams to have cured it, the plastic cover that covers the rear light screws let's the water gush down the back of it, I just got some caravan none setting sealant and put a run on the top and down the body side and on the bottom edge and clicked it back into place and hey presto no water in boot, this was on the offside l also did the other side for good measure, hope this helps.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi, how much water was in the boot?. i've just topped my Ad-blue up, and when I took the spare wheel out there was some small patches of water. As i haven't had the boot emptied for nearly a year, I was thinking that it might be condensation (ever the optimist). Is it worth undersealing the inside of the boot with waxoyl or something similar

Roy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Roy, it was topping up the Ad-blue how I discovered I first had an issue! There were very small patches of water in most of the boot area which had remained unnoticeable due to the presence of the styrene moulding. I eventually traced the source of my leak to the bumper securing screws (see my post above) which have rubber washers around them. May well be one of the other multitude of potential leak points that have been identified but from my personal experience, that is where I would start. Hope that helps and hope you find the solution quickly!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi Foggy, do you have to remove the trim at the back of the boot to get at those screws? I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I have just checked my boot after the storm last night and it's dry( wishful thinking again ) I just want to be prepared!

cheers

Roy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Roy, if you refer to "balders" post No6 of this thread you can clearly see the screws below the light trim on the photo.

If you carefully pry off the black plastic tail light trim above first then as you unscrew the screws the washers become visible on the inside of the bumper. The top one on the offside on my was showing a small split which is why (I believe) the water seeped into the boot slowly. Initially my thoughts were that the leak was due to the tail light being secured without a rubber washer to prevent water ingress but even with the inclusion of small washers, my leak persisted until I identified the bumper screws.

All this may of course not be your problem but hopefully it will serve to give an insight into potential problem areas!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi Foggy, I'm a bit confused( age thing ), do you mean the bump stops as shown in Balder's photo. I can't see how that is connected to the bumper.

Roy

p.s. sorry to be a pain

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Roy, no problem at all.

If you refer to the photograph you will see that Balders has circled the bump stops which were identified as another potential leak point. Below the bump stop you can see the black plastic trim that covers the securing screws for the tail light unit. Below THAT you can see the 2 of the screws that hold the bumper in place. It is these 2 screws that were the source of the leak in my particular case. In order to locate the washers for those screws you first need to remove the aforementioned black plastic trim as it obscures the view. Once that has been removed (it's just clipped into place so a small amount of force is needed to pry it off) you can then see the rubber washers behind the bumper. Once I had loosened these screws sufficiently to allow me to get a better look at the washers I could see the top one was split and that (I hope!) was my only source of leak.

To be honest it's not something I would have expected to have to deal with on a 4 year old car but hey, you live and learn.

Hope this clarifies it all for you, if not feel free to shout. :twoup:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi Foggy, maybe I'm the lucky one( fingers crossed ), but after last night's storms, my boot is still dry. But if it does start to leak at least I'll know where to start looking. Thanks for your help and patience

Roy

·
Registered
616 Posts
The leak came back about a month ago, but I removed the bump stops and put some clear silicone sealant behind them and now dry for the last 2 weeks, even after the heavy rain we've had ( fingers well and truly crossed ). The guys on this forum do seem to have the answers to most problems!

Roy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water water water left side front and rear well. Have removed under body stone guard and removed drain plug. Have jacked tiggy up on one sideto allow gravity to drain water over the weekend.. Suspect either taillights or pano roof drains? I intend to remove all seats and carpet etc. and allow sunlight to dry. Then will spray car with water and fiind source of leak. I once had a leak on a GTi in a body seem, that took me months to track down. Nothing worse than rising damp smell LOL
Cheers Richie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I found water in my boot after the heavy rainfall. I think it maybe the lights or boot lining as mentioned above. Does anyone have any pictures of how I access the screws and washers

to reseal?

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Do you have a sunroof?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the same problem and following another thread on same issue but have now pinned it down to the boot, after replacing cabin filter and taking off the rear door panels and checking the seals there, no issues, it's now definitely the boot area that's the issue, everything out and a pool of water at the lower rear (parked on the inclined driveway so that's where it would collect)

Seems to be common and a lot of varied potential locations as listed in this thread.... I like the idea of a hose and start from there ... thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
If you guys have a sunroof it's a common issue when the drains plug and the hoses that run down the C pillars start leaking. Usually the seals never fail. Check the accordiqn boots that hose the wires between the body and hatch. That's another common leak point if they tear or come undone.

Reactions: Marco79

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you guys have a sunroof it's a common issue when the drains plug and the hoses that run down the C pillars start leaking. Usually the seals never fail. Check the accordiqn boots that hose the wires between the body and hatch. That's another common leak point if they tear or come undone.
Hi Iggy, no Sunroof .....at least it's one less source

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Here's a pic of the boot water....
8cda53483c6974416d3b7e361775ea6b.jpg

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
Check the seals around the tail lights, and if the accordion boots are good. If the area at the back of the headliner is dry pop the tail lights out and make sure the foam seals are intact. If you haven't removed the rails before 2 screws hidden under a cover on the inner lip and the outer is held in by a clip you turn 1/4 of a turn in the side compartments, white hex head sticking out with a philips bit center.

Or sit in the back with the hatch closed while a second person pours water over the rails and seams while you watch inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.

I am a newbee to Tiguans and to the forum.

I discovered a leak in my back hatch when I opened it up yesterday. Water came pouring out of the door. Left side.

Does anyone have an Idea of where it could be coming in from?

I took off the opening to the tail light access and there was some dampness there. I could not see any water collected inside the actual taillight.

Appreciate any help here. :roll:

Mel

21 - 40 of 43 Posts