VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont believe it, all the cars I have had over the last 50 years have been dry until I get a Tiguan. noticed boot wet have tried to trace ingress to no avail. Anyone out there have any ideas where it might be coming from. only genuine replies please thanks .

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
I hope this is considered a "genuine" response. Here is a link to one topic obtained by doing a genuine search which is always recommended. ;)

Unfortunately some Tiguans are prone to water leaks in almost all areas. :( These are pretty well documented on our forum. A search will come up with more.

Here is that link. https://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/23417-help-water-leak/?hl=%2Bwater+%2Bboot#entry254289 .

I am on my third Tiguan and have not had any water ingress problems.

Cheers!

Old Dog

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old dog thanks for your reply I did read that one too but was confused about page 367 didn’t have a clue what he meant. Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a leak on mine .... which was only slight & was coming from the bump-stop, the one attached to the body. You will need to take off the inner sealing rubber adjacent to the bump stop to get to the torx screw, I put sealant around the base & rubber washer for the screw.

Hope this helps..... :smile:

Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul, could you post a photo of it please, having trouble identifying the bump stop. sorry thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is amazing thank you so much. I will try them tomorrow. Meanwhile I took light assembily off and broke a plastic lug had to order it and pick up tomorrow. Will let you know if my boot dries out.?once again thanks fir the photo. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is amazing thank you so much. I will try them tomorrow. Meanwhile I took light assembily off and broke a plastic lug had to order it and pick up tomorrow. Will let you know if my boot dries out.?once again thanks fir the photo. Merry Christmas
Not a problem ...... is not my Tiguan ..... ( i borrowed the image.... :roll: ) I used a stethoscope camera & traced it to the bump stop. Make sure you get the inner Tailgate seal back on as it fits behind the panelling inside& it also runs behind the top part of the bumper. If it still leaks then it will be bumper off as the fitting which the tail light & top part of the bumper screw into have rubber washers around them which perish.

Hope you get it sorted...... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all for your advice, sadly the wet is back, i took the lights off reseated with silicone the sponge seal, took the tailgate bump stop off reseated with silicone and I really thought I had done it, until this morning, I checked and the boot is wet again!!! might just stick some cat litter in the boot, ha ha. Cannot see where this water is coming from. any help as usual would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas to one and all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Strip everything out of the boot, make sure the boot floor is dry, get in and have someone spray a hose over the roof of the back of the car. If you have a pan roof check the drain hoses are still attached on the inner rear quarter panels. Mine pulled short when I was adding sound proofing and filled the boot when it rained. Check the hoses themselves if they are located in the quarters correctly as they fail the same as the fronts do. Another possible place is where the cables come through for the boot lid although this will also likely give you a wet parcel shelf

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too had this and agree that i've never owned such a leaky car (including land rovers).

I never found the leak but I got some 'creepin jack' from a boat yard and dribbled quite a lot down the boot gulley (mimicking the water run) from just below the 'bump stop' mentioned above. I did this twice and it seems to have solved the problem.

Either the tail light fixings or bumper fixings through the box section were leaking I think????

I was finding the water was coming in through the spot-welded seems in the back drivers corner (UK) inside the little cubby-hole/storage compartment and puddling near the wiring grommet in the floor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now this is interesting, I to now have a very slight "water ingress" fault in exactly the same location as kaditiuk mentions. Doing a search this precise location has been identified before and always from the offside where access to the grommet is obtained through the small storage compartment.

Now is this a more common fault than we suspect and has anyone identified precisely where the fault is located or just a case of trying to reseal anything that could be suspect?!! :roll:

G

·
Paranoia is alive and well and living in Scotland! Having read this thread, I made a mental note to keep an eye on the boot area for water ingress. Yesterday, retrieving tools from the car in the pouring rain, to deal with the aftermath of a 2nd dry rot outbreak in our apartment, I noticed a wee stream of water running down my rubber boot protector mat. Just as I was about to utter the universal question about how much worse could life flipping get, I remembered that, 48 hours earlier, I had used a wet sponge to remove bird droppings from the tailgate top lh corner as I left the apartment on foot. Being in a hurry, I had omitted to wring out the wet sponge afterwards ...

But, not to be outdone on the disappointment stakes, I wandered through to the conservatory a little later and found a leak along one of the roof panel seams ... So, dry rot floor repairs finished, and off the 'To Do' List; Conservatory roof seam added to the 'To Do' List, and life continues as ever it did :)). Still, mustn't grumble, eh?

Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Following on from this and as an update, I "think" I found the source of my particular leak in the form of the tail light securing screws.

Removing the light unit itself to inspect the screw mounting holes reveal plastic rawlplug type sockets for the screws. Given that my leak was very slight and only resulted in a few drops of water seeping in, I reasoned it was highly plausible that plastic was not the most ideal material to act as a sealant! As an experiment I inserted a rubber washer between the light unit and the body before re-fitting the unit and guess what? So far (fingers crossed) no more leaks!

As the owner of a Tig with a pano roof I have to admit to now being slightly paranoid about the whole water ingress thing and have written to VW for advice/reassurance re water ingress in general. I doubt anything other than the usual placatory response will come back but should I receive anything of value I will pass it on.

In the meantime I'm trying not to let my paranoia get the better of me and sell the car! :roll:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lucky it was only a few drops, I could've gone swimming in mine!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The leak is back!!! :mad2: I have to say that for a 65 plate car I am not impressed and seriously loosing patience with having to perform diy/fault finding tasks now.

Anyone any further suggestions that I might try that hasn't already been mentioned please? :roll:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The leak is back!!! :mad2: I have to say that for a 65 plate car I am not impressed and seriously loosing patience with having to perform diy/fault finding tasks now.

Anyone any further suggestions that I might try that hasn't already been mentioned please? :roll:
What have you tried so far? Have you checked the drain hoses are located in the rear inner wings correctly? Have you taken everything off the boot floor, down to the floor pan ( spare wheel etc) and had water sprayed over the rear? A couple of buckets over the boot will even do it if you can't run a hose out. Pull the roof lining down at the rear if it's dry you know it's coming in further down. The hoses are weak points though

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Mark, I'm not exactly sure which drain hoses you are referring to unless its for the pano roof drain? In which case, no I haven't resorted to prying trim off as yet because I'm convinced it's lower down. I was sure I had found the issue with the rear light clusters being the source. I have streamed water from a hosepipe along the channel and directly over the light cluster securing bolts and noticed water seeping down into the cubby hole. Following my insertion of the 2 rubber washers previously mentioned, that seemed to sort the problem. I keep some blue paper towel in the cubby hole which I have frequently checked over the past few weeks without issue but following yesterdays downpour all day in my neck of the woods, I have water droplets back again. To put it all into context, we're not talking about a flood here, merely a few drops but sufficient to cause an issue over the longer term. Besides which, it shouldn't obviously be leaking!

I have ordered an endoscope type attachment for my mobile phone so I can probe a bit further behind trim etc. Once I have it I will do as you suggest and completely empty the boot (again) then climb inside whilst the gaffer hoses the car to see if that can shed any light on the source.

I do have to admit to being sadly disillusioned with my car at the moment.

Many thanks for your advice, all very much appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The drain tubes end inside the rear quarters inside the vehicle and are pushed into rubber grommits that feed the water through to the outside of its only a few droplets it's not likely to be them as a fair bit came into mine when I knocked it loose. Hopefully the camera will unearth something for you I loathe damp/wet cars. Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well having taken my Tiggy to a VW main dealer under warranty. They decided to rip me off and say its not covered. Had they listened to me in the beginning, I told them where the water was, they would not have had to remove rear wiper motor, rear boot trim everything except in the area where I told them. They say they wanted another £500 on top to the £120 to find the leak. I told them put it all back together I will take it somewhere else. Decided to take to the main dealer who sold me the car and they couldnt have been more happy to help, they gave me a courtesy car and they say they fixed it. It was they say a seam that was not sealed properly. I dont know where it was but seems to be dry now. lets hope it continues that way. I shall keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts