VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a tow bar fitted? I'm thinking about getting one, but with so few out there the I have been unable to see how they look. It's the fold away one I think I'd go for, just wondered if anyone had any experiences?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm having a VW one fitted pre-delivery, therefore it will be covered by the VW 3-year warranty apparently. Expensive piece of kit the retractable tow-bar & electrics + several hours fitting!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'll need one too, but salesman had no info on it when ordered...will hope it's available by delivery

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wonder if the original VW solution mentioned here as a "trailer hitch" (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070921.004/page2/volkswagen-tiguan-in-detail) has been dropped from the production vehicles.

In the VW price list tow bars are a dealer fit option and when I checked with my dealer he said they outsourced the supply and fitting to Indespension. The supplier arrangement may vary with other dealers.

As it is now a 3rd party solution I'll leave it for 6 months or so until they have some experience fitting it to the Tiguan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Found this video from Jan 3rd which shows the "Trailer hitch" in action -
. I wonder if this simply isn't an option for UK cars as it isn't in the printed price list or on-line configurator.

The above Youtube page also has a pointer to a reasonable parkassist demo..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took delivery of our Tiguan SE yesterday evening! The tow-hitch fitted is the Brink Retractable, and what a brilliant piece of kit! So different to that demonstrated on YouTube! It is all self-contained beneath the bumper and so simple to set up!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you take any video or photos? Was it factory fitted or did your dealer fit it? And out of interest what was the cost?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found this... is this what it looks like?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cost was as per VW Price list for the Tiguan:

Brink Retractable Towbar: ? ?405.00 + Electrics ?150.00 + 6/7 hours labour at the VW dealer. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, as it was fitted at the dealer prior to delivery, it is also covered by the VW 3-year warranty. Shall attempt to upload the Brink user manual for your information. Note that Fig 1.1 identifies a 'ring' underneath the bumper which you pull to release the hitch... from then on it is simplicity itself! Likewise Fig 2.1 to store the hitch when not in use. The 13-pin electrics socket is tucked behind the bumper but is easily dropped into position for use,It is very, very solid and well made!

'Am having difficulty up-loading! Can you send me your e-mail address and I'll forward the pics as attachments? My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Also try the Brink website: http://www.brinkweb.com/trekhaak.php?li ... 0700&tid=9

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does 6/7 hours work out to fit? I have been told that it would cost ?70-80 an hour for their time. ?550 for the parts and potentially over ?400 for the fitting. It's one very expensive extra!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree. It is not a cheap accessory but it avoids having a fixed bar sticking out the rear. I've also got parking-sensors fitted and I'm told that such a bar/hitch could interfere with the electronics of the sensors.

I've had a tow bar fitted by a third-party once and they made such a mess of the wiring that when I came to change my Touran for another, the dealer just could not risk taking the old wiring loom off the 1st Touran! At least a VW fitted bar & electrics should not cause problems even for warranty purposes. I even had to go back to the third-party fitters once, as when I stopped and switched off the engine with the caravan in tow late one evening, all the lights on the rear of the van went off too! Dangerous! The last two Touran bars was fitted by VW and I had no problems at all, and that is why I went for another VW fitted tow-hitch for the Tiguan.

Just found an interesting 'video' prepared by BRink and 2.20 minutes into the video it shows their Retractable Hitch system! Go to: http://www.brinktowbars.co.uk/new/towbars.htm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found these online, would these be the same retractable?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bawddwr - the pictures you posted look like the Thule retractable towbar (http://www.brinkweb.com/) rather than the retractable tow-hitch shown in johniboy73's pictures and the Youtube video in my previous posting which are clearly on a Tiguan and more closely resembles the description here (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070921.004/page2/volkswagen-tiguan-in-detail).

One difference is the Tig cable pull is under a flap on top of the the rear panel whereas the Thule has a ring pull under the bumper.

When previously asked about the Tiguan retractable tow-hitch my dealer referred me to Indespension who showed me the latest material from Brink which didn't include the Tiguan tow-hitch, just the Brink Advanced and Mirage removable towbars. This is what made me think the VW/Brink hitch wasn't available in the UK.

BTW The Tig does look nice in white ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting comment! Well, I have the Brink fitted and it is to be tested this week end - towing the caravan. Got mine fitted at the VW Dealership: Sinclair Garages (Port Talbot) West Glamorgan, Wales

T

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did they charge you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those who are Caravan Club members, take a look at the Thule Brink advert on page 10 of the April 08 copy of the Caravan Club Magazine.

Better still, go to: http://www.brink.eu and look at the Thule Retractable tow-bar. This is what has been fitted to my Tiguan by the dealer. It has a VW ball-cover too! A brilliant piece of kit!

Quick and easy to install - Just like a fixed towbar
Easy to operate - from outside the vehicle
Invisible when in the stowed position
Total product security - visual checking facility

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have asked the VW dealer for a breakdown re cost and will post this information as soon as it is received.

2nd April 2008:

MY VW Dealer's full retail & no discount price for the Thule/Brink/VW retractable towabar is as follows:
Parts ?510.63 + vat ?599.99
Labour ?323. + Vat ?380.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bawddwr said:
Interesting comment! Well, I have the Brink fitted and it is to be tested this week end - towing the caravan. Got mine fitted at the VW Dealership: Sinclair Garages (Port Talbot) West Glamorgan, Wales

T
What are your impressions of the towbar after testing? I'm interested as mine is around a month off delivery and I want the same towbar arrangement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi folks
I have had a westfalla tow bar fitted to my car with a detachable tow ball complete with 13 pin electrics
You can only see the towing system when the ball is attached and it is easy to attach
I can fully reccomend it and it is substancially cheaper than the official vw system

Got my Car last week, ordered mid Jan with a expected delivery date 24/4/08
mountain grey 2.0se with sunroof,parking control and cruise control

1 - 20 of 31 Posts