VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to change a Rear brake bulb today on the road, I picked up a bulb at a auto parts store but left quickly... crap wouldn't you know it I had no screw drivers to remove the light assembly, if I had stayed just 5 more minutes I could have borrowed a screw driver, at least a flat head if they didn't have torx to lend.

Any way on the TIG a full set of Torx sockets and screw drivers are a must. Anyone have any interesting tools they care to add.

Reactions: Andrei Rinea

·
Registered
7 Posts
Minimalist, but I have partially hollowed the small plastic box that holds a 1/4 drive Craftsman socket set and included two extensions, Torx bits that will work with 4-bit multi-screwdriver, and combination pliers/adjustable wrench. Also managed to fit in some wire cable ties. Outside of the case a roll of electrical tape and Leatherman. A small first aid kit contains the duct tape ; )

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't carry any tools......I pay enough for the auto club each year, that's what they are for :whistle:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Minimalist, but I have partially hollowed the small plastic box that holds a 1/4 drive Craftsman socket set and included two extensions, Torx bits that will work with 4-bit multi-screwdriver, and combination pliers/adjustable wrench. Also managed to fit in some wire cable ties. Outside of the case a roll of electrical tape and Leatherman. A small first aid kit contains the duct tape ; )
Duct Tape, that's a good one, I remember using some to fix a pin hole coolant leak on my BMW, pretty much stopped the leak and allowed me to limp home.

EDIT: It can be used to hold things together if/when you have a mishap.

·
myTiguan Master
4,756 Posts
Duct Tape, that's a good one, I remember using some to fix a pin hole coolant leak on my BMW, pretty much stopped the leak and allowed me to limp home.

EDIT: It can be used to hold things together if/when you have a mishap.
It can be used to hold things together if/when you have a mishap.

What like when my incontinence pants spring a leak lol.

Mick

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
what if the owner/driver is a tool?

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
For anyone who remembers or used to watch McGyver you'll know the most important tool is a roll of gaffer tape. That guy managed to get out of quite a few sticky situations using the tape (get the pun) and was a role model for me............until Mr T and Hannibal arrived on our screens! ;-)

And if you've also seen Gran Torino then a pair of plyers and a can of WD-40 will complete the essential tool kit. :razz:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can be used to hold things together if/when you have a mishap.

What like when my incontinence pants spring a leak lol.

Mick
Yup any mishap ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Grand Torino. Great movie. Yes, duct tape, pliers, set of torx bit with a good driver. On the none mechanical side. A fire extinguisher for when you're messing with electrical wiring and the duct tape, first aid kit with burn treatment. I also carry a duffle bag full of recovery stuff from my off roading days. Good habits are hard to break. Murder on the fuel economy. ;-)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Fire extinguisher, jumper cables, multi tool, first aid kit and a resus mask Oh and a blanket never know if your going to be stranded somewhere, think that's about it for me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fire extinguisher, jumper cables, multi tool, first aid kit and a resus mask Oh and a blanket never know if your going to be stranded somewhere, think that's about it for me.
...remember back when we all carried a blanket ... didn't we. ;)

Reactions: Enigma

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
...remember back when we all carried a blanket ... didn't we. ;)
Yeah the tartan kind. Jumper cables are a must. I have a set in both of my cars now. Never want to be caught out again after I ran the battery flat taking dusk photographs of my TT. :)

It's made plenty of use since though. So far helped out stranded people and the list includes:

Aston Martin Vantage V8 Coupe

Aston Martin Vantage N420 Convertible

Range Rover Vouge

Bit of a trend there, british built cars having electrical problems :razz:

Reactions: Skard

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I was in the motor trade I sold a friend, who was managing director of a large engineering company, his first Mercdes. For a bit of fun I put a packet of condoms in the toolkit. At a dinner party he was talking about his new car and said that Mercedes thought of everything and told everyone about the condoms. I waited until the end of the dinner party and explained that I'd put them in the toolkit. He did look a bit shocker to say the least but eventually saw the funny side. The other guests thought it was hilarious.
P.S. I don't carry them in mine!

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think Top Gear (Bolivia Special) have shown why condoms are a must in all our tool kits. And female sanitary products!

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
Ya ya Geoff, hahaha. ;)
reminds me of a RRoyce dealer in Oxford which celebrated one noteable anniversary with specially packaged golf tees......when a old gentleman visiting the showroom asked "what are these for?" the reply given was"you put your balls on them when you drive off" to which he quickly responded "my goodness, RR think of everything" boom boom!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone mentioned electric compressor yet? .... electric compressor... for us small wind bags ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts