VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Tiguan and this week my timing belt tensioner failed causing huge engine issues. VW won’t accept any form of liability for this part. Car is little over 3 years old and done 61k miles. VW recommend this is changed at 140k or 5 years. Anyone else had this problem? VW want £12k for a new engine.

the VW dealership have advised me this part that has failed is a non-maintainable item but VW themselves not accepting it.

I am looking to build a case of similar issues as I believe this will go further.

many advice would be appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
302 Posts
Are you the first owner of the vehicle? How far out of warranty are you? Where has the servicing been done? Sounds like shit bad luck, but VW should be holding there hands up to this, 3 years is not that long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a VW lease car through VW financial services, full service history at required times needed albeit not at VW garage as you don’t have to have it done there as long as they’ve used approved parts and have invoices (this hasn’t been questioned). The lease is for 4 years so 6 weeks left through VW Finance and the car is 10months out of manufacturing warranty. The fact of the matter for me is that VW claim this part shouldn’t be looked at until timing belt is changed at 140k miles or 5 years. I won’t be paying out £12k for a new engine on a lease car, they have the car back now so as far as I’m concerned it’s their issue. I will fulfil my lease and pay all my payment terms and then I’m officially done. Let them take me to court if they want.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
14 Posts
I have been leasing for 37 years. What happened to you is why I always made it self-rule never to lease longer than the new car warranty. Sorry, you had this happen to you. Not sure if you are off the hook for the engine repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been leasing for 37 years. What happened to you is why I always made it self-rule never to lease longer than the new car warranty. Sorry, you had this happen to you. Not sure if you are off the hook for the engine repair.
Thanks for your message, My lease was only suppose to be for 3 years but due to short supply of cars in UK / Europe at the moment I couldn’t get a new car in time so had no other option but to extend current lease for a year. I’ll keep fighting the fight and won’t be parting with any money

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand the shortage of new cars, the same problem here in the USA. I had an MB GLA that came off lease in April. They did not have a replacement. So I bought at a lease-end price, turned around, and sold it a few weeks later for 30% more than my end-of-lease purchase price. This is why I now have a 2022 Tiguan SE R line, as one was just delivered the day before at the VW dealer and was unsold. That 30% was used as capital reduction.

·
Registered
992 Posts
.... they have the car back now so as far as I’m concerned it’s their issue.
I'm intrigued how they've got the car back if it's not working? They wont have been able to do the end-of-lease check.

I'm sure I read or was told that VW lease cars were always under warranty - but I queried that with my dealer and they denied it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm intrigued how they've got the car back if it's not working? They wont have been able to do the end-of-lease check.

I'm sure I read or was told that VW lease cars were always under warranty - but I queried that with my dealer and they denied it.
As part of my lease I had VW assistance via the VW Driverline so they sent out the AA to it. The AA recommended they recover the car back to VW garage which is what we did. The end of lease check is due in July so they’ll have to do it at the garage where it’s at. As far as I’m concerned I will be paying my last Monthly payment in July and then I’ve fulfilled my obligations of my contract. They have all the keys now so from my payment on 1st July I’m walking away from the car. I don’t see this as being my issue with it been a lease car, the car doesn’t belong to me legally so I will happily let VW finance side (who my lease is with) argue with VW garage and VW manufacturing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As part of my lease I had VW assistance via the VW Driverline so they sent out the AA to it. The AA recommended they recover the car back to VW garage which is what we did. The end of lease check is due in July so they’ll have to do it at the garage where it’s at. As far as I’m concerned I will be paying my last Monthly payment in July and then I’ve fulfilled my obligations of my contract. They have all the keys now so from my payment on 1st July I’m walking away from the car. I don’t see this as being my issue with it been a lease car, the car doesn’t belong to me legally so I will happily let VW finance side (who my lease is with) argue with VW garage and VW manufacturing.
Think your lease contract calls for the engine to be running and in good condition, the same as if you have a wrecked fender. Wish you luck with your plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think your lease contract calls for the engine to be running and in good condition, the same as if you have a wrecked fender. Wish you luck with your plan.
They do expect it running but equally I expect a vehicle that lasts at least half the distance on a timing tensioner. I received it in writing yesterday from the VW dealership that this part shouldn’t have failed at this young age and that it’s a non maintenance item that didn’t need to be renewed at 61k. I believe I have a strong case now with this proof from an approved VW Dealer. I’ll let them fight it out and drop this email in as and when needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts