VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new addition to our family and so there are 2 adults and 3 children aged 1 week, 5yr and 7yr. We have a MK4 Golf and we cannot get all the prams and car seats in without folding a rear seat down! So we decided to buy something just a bit bigger. We looked at a Volvo XC90, but we hated the interior as soon as we opened the door - Can't believe Jeremy Clarkson has one. It was also too big to park on the drive sensibly because of the poor turning circle. I was also put off when the dealer said that no-one ever buys the manual (I dislike autos). We wanted a 4x4 rather than an MPV for the driving position. I've looked at so many online reviews of the Tiguan, they contradict each other - even in the same review! So we test drove one and really liked it. There seemed to be more room in the back and the pram went in the boot without folding or sliding the seats. I'm a big VW fan and was concerned about the Freelander reliability - so we bought the Tiguan.

However, I'm looking at the Whatcar comparision and the Freelander 2 comes out better. Points against the Tiguan were a low 1st gear and a boomy engine.

Has anyone else here just looked at the Freelander 2 / Rav 4 / CR-V? and opted for the Tiguan? If so why?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
862 Posts
Scottie on here has just opted for the CRV I think (but as she changes cars every few months I'm sure she'll get round to the Tig when the more powerful engine comes through
). I shared your concerns about LR build quality, plus purchase prices seemed high. I liked the Tig when I drove it and that was enough for me. I have read the reviews and take on board what they say, but you also have to consider their own agendas and read some of their other comparisons. I did and realised i don't always agree with them.

Good choice in my view (of course).

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes I believe out of those cars the Tig is the overall winner!

But I believe you have to look at what is most important to you and your family. You actually test drove one, and loved it, so that is a major plus in my books.

Where I am concerened, I was looking something a bit more roomy, and comfortable than the BMW's that I drove, with the same practicality as a Hatchback, Also with German Interior Quality.

My brother and his family drive the New CRV, and they really like it, it is roomy and practical, a bit harsh over the bumps, and can be underpowered when you compare it to a Tig with the 200HP TSI. In my opinion, the German Interior quality is Tops, and the "Solid" feel and driveability of their vehicles can't really be beat. I have driven many vehicles from, Japan, Germany, Etc., and there is a considerable difference in the "weight" of the doors, etc.

I'm just praying I have not made the right decision at the wrong time, because seems we are expecting LONG delays.........

I will be contacting my dealer for their side of the story tommorrow.

Cheers,

Rocc

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rocc said:
I will be contacting my dealer for their side of the story tommorrow.
Let me know how you get on Rocc, I'm still pursuing VW UK for a written explanation.

Cheers

Des

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had two CRV's (petrol and a diesel) both were excellent cars but having had a Bora before buying the CRV's I missed the VW perceived quality. I have just traded a 2.2 Diesel CRV for a 2.0 Diesel SE Tiguan and in my opinion (apart from the boot size) I prefer the Tig. Having said that apart from routine seviceing I never had to replace anything in the 5 years I had the Honda and their customer service was excellent. Let's hope that VW have improved since I last had a VW.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi ees3dc,

welcome to the forum - I've tested both the Tig and Freelander2 back to back and feel they fit into slightly different markets -the FL2 is a little bigger and more utilitarian - the Tig is more compact and town focused

Kaine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts