VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve had to post here. As the title suggests my headunit is restarting. It’s becoming more regular and as such, incredibly annoying.

This is the headunit I have:

Rectangle Gadget Gas Font Auto part

I’m happy with it and don’t really want to change it if possible. I read online it could be a software issue. VW want to charge £60 to “investigate”. I’m worried that the diagnostic investigation will not unearth anything related to this issue so I will have wasted £60. Other threads I’ve read here and some other sites mention the headunit will need replacing.

So basically my questions are, if I get a second hand unit that’s exactly the same as my current one is it plug and play or will it need to be coded? If I’m changing the headunit, is there a factory upgrade (higher spec) unit that will fit? I’d like to keep all of my steering wheel controls.
And lastly, is there an aftermarket unit that works well enough to move away from the factory units?

Any help/advice will be welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I have just removed the head unit to check behind for possible loose connections/wires and I noticed that on the main loom there are a few wires that appear to have been “tampered” with as they both have black electrical tape on them. Where can I find a wiring diagram that will tell me what these wires are for? I’ve had a search on here but either there isn’t any or I’m entering the wrong search words lol.

Electrical wiring Vehicle Cable Electronic engineering Wire

Finger Electrical wiring Gadget Cable Wire

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
The top pic is the wires to the media unit in the console the others are the microphone for the BT. And surprisingly so it’s factory. RCD and RNS have an issue with random restarts as they age. The Nav units even more so. Purple with the red tracer is your power signal and brown is ground. The unit itself is controlled by the can module there is no key on signal. Sometimes a full hard reboot. Hold the top left two buttons (arrows) and the far right button (star or other) hold for 20-30 seconds and it should totally reboot the system. If that doesn’t cure it it’s most likely an internal issue but a scan with vcds will shed light on it.

Reactions: MattH

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Iggy. You’ll have to bare with me on this. Where are the buttons you mention for the reboot?

also just to note, this only appears to happen when using Bluetooth media. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed it when using the radio/DAB.

I searched online that some have a Bluetooth module under the front seat, but on inspection my car does not have this.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
What unit do you have the RDC or RNS 510?

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Holding power is a soft reboot.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Okay that’s my bad some reason the pics didn’t show up. That’s the MiB deck and yea they are more than problematic. You might check with a dealer to see if your deck has any needed software updates.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a hard reboot option for these, or just the hold down of the power button (soft reboot)

Also, is they’re a separate Bluetooth module for it or is it incorporated into the unit itself?

I can’t understand why it’s doing it when playing music via Bluetooth but not through the radio.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
BT is integrated to the deck. It could be something like a chip over heating. Causing the reset.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
You would need to take it to the dealer to properly code and pair it to your Tiguan. Getting the “code” only works some times from those code sellers online.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,337 Posts
To expand, you don't enter the code on the deck. You have to set the code in the car, and it then authorises the deck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel like it’s definitely a loose or damaged connection somewhere. I hit a small hole in the road yesterday and it reset. It also reset when I went over a local speed bump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts