VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, congrats on great website.
I have just placed a deposit on a Tiguan Escape diesel auto in Mountain Grey with black leather.
as yet no delivery date!!!!!!
Now I've placed the order I am wondering if the Escape may not be a popular choice come trade in time.
I would appreciate views on this model as I am considering changing order to a Tig SE.
Cheers Bazzer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi Bazzer,

Welcome to the forum - thanks for your comments. I'm only guessing but I'd say the Sport will be the best performer for residuals, however I dont think it will be a huge difference imho - personally I think the Escape looks great - good choice

Kaine

·
Registered
203 Posts
I cant remember where I saw it (probably What car?), all the tiguans 3 year residuals were in the upper 50%. Not really enough difference to stop me having the one I wanted.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I was originally going for an Escape tdi auto in white, however my dealer persuaded me otherwise, overall the SE is better value for money, but then considering the extra spec you get in the Sport for a few hundred more you may as well go for that, that's what I did anyway

Very clever pricing from VW, I really can't see anyone buying an S spec to be honest. I think the Escape will take more of a hit come trade in than the regular road going version purely on looks, saying that though I have not personally seen an Escape and I'm not aware of any dealers that have them as demonstrators.

My opinion, go for the Sport, the seat trim is better, plus the 18" alloys, convenience pack, sports seats, front fogs, sports suspension, tinted glass and chrome trim are damn good value for an extra 500 pounds over the Escape.

Des

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why is the SE better value than an Escape? Can't see it myself, I suppose it depends on which features you use but...

The escape has all the features of an SE apart from no privacy glass at rear and no chrome round windows, middle of front and chromed roof bar.
But is has off-road mode,hill descent, front off road styling and protection and fog lights

As far as looks go I didnt actually like the initial look of the Tiguan from the front when I saw the telly advert as the front just looked to have too much chrome for my liking. However having now seen one in real life and am test driving it on Saturday I love the look.

To be honest though I still I prefer the look of the escape (the one I want ) and the S version better than the SE. Depends if you love chrome or not I guess

Its all down to personal taste in the end... but I definately want an escape.

Also I have found that since I do tend to over-research cars before I go to the dealers ( so my wife says) no matter where you go dealers talk a lot of sh*?. If I ever hear the term "the dealer advised me to" I have to think who would I most trust for advice in this world and where would a Car Salesman be in the league table. Yes there are good dealers and bad dealers but I would still not trust any of their advice without verification.

Buy the one you want not the one the dealer wants to sell you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually spotted a white Escape on the back of a transporter going down the M4 yesterday, I have to say it did look rather good
makes me wonder if i made the right choice going for the Sport

Des

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny, my wife wont consider white, it looks good in the brochures to me. Havent seen one live yet but it would also save me 365 quid in metallic extras. I think its a riskier option but then again do we all want to buy the same colour...hmmmm

I have to say the sport looks damn good especially with the 18" alloys. I doubt youll regret the decision though I doubt you would if you had gone for the escape either. I think they are both priced well it just depends on your preferences.

·
Registered
199 Posts
CPH said:
Funny, my wife wont consider white
My wife also blocked my idea of a white car, so I went for black, it will be my fourth car in this colour. White on a Tiguan does look great, much better in the flesh but it's just like when silver was in fashion, everyone went out a bought a silver car, now there are hundreds around.

Black is a safe colour to go for, looks great (when clean) and will never go out of fashion, and on the Sport with 18" alloys and the chrome trim it looks classy.

Des

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel the Escape will look better in the lighter colours such as white and silver bacause of the lack of chrome.
The Sport with chrome looks great in black or dark blue. The only problem is keeping it clean, they are what
I call showroom colours. When I ordered my Tig and was deciding on colour the salesman showed me his Golf
in dark blue, it looked pretty grubby and he admitted that he had given up trying to keep it clean, also I am
trading in a black CRV which shows many surface scratches despite careful cleaning ( no carwash). So I decided
on a lighter colour this time around.

Bazzer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jusr had a test drive today of a sport..very impressed. Going to try an SE tomorrow and Freelander 2 to get a good comparision. Want to compare sports suspension to normal and the FL2.
Spent about half an hour with dealer going through options and finance options even though I am not in a position to order till my company car lease runs out.

Is it just me or does everyone know more about the car than the salesmen. I was pushed very firmly towards the SE or Sport and away from the escape. However all the arguments they had for not getting the escape I countered and there really wasnt a justifiable case.
eg it costs more...no it doesnt if you have carpet mats and spots on the SE
they have longer lead times...both 12 weeks when I asked for the dates
its only for offroading...no it isnt it has mainly the same spec and personally I like the look of it

There must be a reason why dealers want everyone to buy SEs and they each seam to have different stories. My advice read all the specs and prices before you go in , knowledge is power...and it doesnt take much to know more about the cars than the sale staff I find it quite unbelievable how little they do know. More importantly understand how apr rates and flat rates differ. I cant beleive they try to con buyers with low interest rates that arent by using flat rate rather than apr and not telling you (against FSA regulations by the way). But people must be falling for it otherwise they wouldnt continue to use this tactic. Peugeot dealer tried that when buying my wifes car last year and the VW dealer tried the same this morning. No wonder I dont trust any of them anymore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right it is very unusual to find a salesman with a decent knowledge of the product they are selling. Like you
I prefer the look of the Escape yet everyone seems to be ordering SE or Sport models. (The sport has a harsher ride)
Could it be there is a policy by VW GB to put push these models harder and I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove the se today and straight after a freelander 2

Re: pushing se's I asked the salesman I spoke to today at a different vw dealership why others are pushing everyone down the se and sport route and he said they its probably that they have them on order as they are likely to be the most popular sellers, vw stated about 5% would want escapes. Most dealers wouldnt have pre ordered escapes and therefore wont end up with stock to shift. Makes sense - I can believe that.

Escape is still my favourite, like the front better, prefer the more rugged look without all the chrome and for every 20 tigs there will only be one like mine (when i get it that is) and I saw one in the body shop today being prepared after the test drive. It has a mean look at the front, it sort of growls at you (ask Clarkson might say).

Anyway test drive. Felt all the bumps with the sport yesterday but apart from that loved it. The SE today was far more comfortable without the sports suspension. What I was surprised at though was overall I preferred it in every way to the freelander 2. Wife and son didnt like ride in the back of the fl2 at all. Too bouncy, not as much leg room, swayed from side to side on roundabouts. Tig wins by a fair distance.
I am very surprised as i would have chosen vw over land rover for reliability but i did not expect the tig to perform better. I expected we would all prefer the fl2 when tested one after the other due to all the reports i have read. Very impressed with tig and i think any version will be great buy. Car decision is made...now for trim and colour.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
CPH,

Nice summary and glad to hear your happy with the Tig over the FL2. I did a half day experience in the FL2 and found it very competent offroad for a half blooded LR, however on road it was just ok.

Kaine

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love the Tig, and currently torn between the Sport v Escape. I think from a re-sale value the Escape will look a little more interesting, but the Sort comes with better features. I have added some pics from other European websites. View attachment 53

·
Registered
3 Posts
CPH said:
Anyway test drive. Felt all the bumps with the sport yesterday but apart from that loved it. The SE today was far more comfortable without the sports suspension. What I was surprised at though was overall I preferred it in every way to the freelander 2. Wife and son didnt like ride in the back of the fl2 at all. Too bouncy, not as much leg room, swayed from side to side on roundabouts. Tig wins by a fair distance.
I am very surprised as i would have chosen vw over land rover for reliability but i did not expect the tig to perform better. I expected we would all prefer the fl2 when tested one after the other due to all the reports i have read. Very impressed with tig and i think any version will be great buy. Car decision is made...now for trim and colour.
How does the Tiguan SE (or Escape) compares to the FL2 in terms of comfort?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts