VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My tiguan is making what sounds like a low frequency brake disc dragging noise, not too intrusive as I can hear it but my wife cann't !!. Its not engine related, as does not appear when stationary. Starts at about 1500 rpm and above 20mph. Does not go away when dis-engaging clutch or touching brakes. Just sits there in the back ground quietly rotationally dragging stops again when decelerating at about 10 to 15 mph Seems to come from LH front area. I've inspected all brakes/discs wheels etc and found nothing wrong.

Anyone experenced something similar ?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Fortunately I haven't experienced any issue's at all. There have been a reports of strange flywheel noises as discussed in this thread.

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/19089-dsg7-wet-cold-noise/

However, your problem does tend to sound like either a brake pad binding, but you say you can still hear it when braking, is it possible your've managed to pickup a small stone and it's got lodged, the other possibility is perhaps wheel bearing noise? have you noticed whether the sound changes when you go round left or right hand bends, if so that may indicate some wheel bearing issue.

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Hi,

My tiguan is making what sounds like a low frequency brake disc dragging noise, not too intrusive as I can hear it but my wife cann't !!. Its not engine related, as does not appear when stationary. Starts at about 1500 rpm and above 20mph. Does not go away when dis-engaging clutch or touching brakes. Just sits there in the back ground quietly rotationally dragging stops again when decelerating at about 10 to 15 mph Seems to come from LH front area. I've inspected all brakes/discs wheels etc and found nothing wrong.

Anyone experenced something similar ?
Mileage?

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
My vote is wheel bearing. Unless there is significant play, you will not be able to diagnose. It requires spinning up the drivetrain on a hoist and listening with a stethescope.

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your input, mileage is 77k on the stone behind the brake disc shield have checked them and nothing found. I will however listen to the noise when turning left and right, have checked the bearings while on the jack and the bearings feel tight, but i too have thought to get it up the hoist and spin it up to see if i can pinpoint where its coming from. - Will keep you posted !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks all for your input, mileage is 77k on the stone behind the brake disc shield have checked them and nothing found. I will however listen to the noise when turning left and right, have checked the bearings while on the jack and the bearings feel tight, but i too have thought to get it up the hoist and spin it up to see if i can pinpoint where its coming from. - Will keep you posted !
Good morning. Did you ever find out what was causing this issue?? I have the exact same problem but cannot suss it out where the noise is coming from. It sounds more like the passenger side front, and is a very faint noise, almost like a brake disk noise but it is not as I have just had them replaced and the noise is still the same. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Adam

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,024 Posts
I'm afraid the original poster was only on a short while, and hasn't returned since 2014, so I wouldn't expect a reply to your query.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts