VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i was wondering if anyone has pictures or a website that i can see what choices i have for VW alloy rims. I have already placed my order a white Tiguan track and field with the Boston alloy rims 17".

·
Registered
71 Posts
mpafitis,

please let me know your findings. I would like to put 20" on my Tig Sport, but as the car is so new, no one knows what will fit!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Irish VW site also shows 16" alloys. That may sound pathetic to those of you ordering the Sport, but for those of us getting the Escape it could be important.
The standard 17" rims do not (as far as I can find) have a tyre more suited to off road use. However, there are All Terrain tyres available in 215/65 R16 tyre size. Could be the route I will go down when I see how well the standard tyres perform on the slippery stuff!!

I noted that the orange Rally Tiguan shown in a link from another thread seemed to have narrower more agressive tyres. Perhaps they were this size.

Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
MPafiti...

I am from Cyprus also... Limassol.... I know a guy in Limassol that he imports only VW original accessories from Germany....If you want I can give you more details.. I am planning to put the ?Savannah? light alloy wheels ... VW said they will never import them in Cyprus... Too Expensive...

Demetris

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey guys,

Wondering if you know what is the widest tyre that can be fitted on the 7J x 18" New York Rims that come on the Tiguan? I know that rim comes with 235/50 18 Tyres, but what are the widest that will fit, can you put a 255 on there?

Regards,

Rocc

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rocc said:
Hey guys,

Wondering if you know what is the widest tyre that can be fitted on the 7J x 18" New York Rims that come on the Tiguan? I know that rim comes with 235/50 18 Tyres, but what are the widest that will fit, can you put a 255 on there?

Regards,

Rocc
Anyone as yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have an UK OCT 08 Tiguan Escape (Track and Field version)from new. The standard wheels/tyres were 235/55/17 with tyre pressure sensor system. I have had 26000 miles (40,000Km) on the standard Dunlop tyres and they are still not on the wear indicators, fronts 2.5mm, rears 6mm. Happy with that! Anyhow I wanted a more off road tyre but found nothing in that size. I have managed to get a set of new VW San Diego rims for a Tiguan (not standard UK spec wheel) from a very helpful chap in Doncaster called DSwagen. Now I am wondering 2 things:

1 What will happen about the tyre pressure sensor system?, I am assuming the new wheels won't have sensor valves fitted. Do I need them? i.e. is this linked to something else that could cause problems, can it be turned off? Can you buy them? Are they expensive?

2 I am considering fitting Lassa Competus 215/65/16 tyres, anybody got experience of these? I live in a rural area which has snow, mud etc. in the winter, last year I got my (new at that time) Tiguan stuck in the snow and had to be pulled out by a Freelander, much to the amusement of all my mates../

My plan is to keep the 17's with road tyres for the summer and use the 16's with the Lassa tyres for the winter.

Any thoughts, help, info appreciated.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
700 Posts
It is my understanding that the flat tyre system uses the ABS sensors to detect changes in the rpm of the tyre due to loss of air. You need to initiate the system after inflating the tyres by pressing and holding the 'set' button for a few seconds till a tone sounds from the dash then drive off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an update from my earlier post at beginning of December 09. I did indeed buy the 16" Tiguan San Diego (standard in Europe on the Escape/ Track and Field Model, but not UK). I fitted the wheels with Lassa Competus 4x4 215/65/16 s and am very happy with them. Road noise is slightly increased but given the winter and amount of snow we have had I am well pleased, the levels of grip in the snow have been way better than the 17" Dunlop road tyres. Also had a couple of off road tests in mud and sand dunes, again way better. Suppose it depends on how you use your tiguan but I now feel i could use these all year round...

costs:

Lassa Competus 4x4 215/65/16 ?73.25 each including VAT, fitting & balancing
VW SanDiego x 4 ?250 plus postage

Lastly one nice thing about the Lassa is that it is a bi directional tyre, therfore the white sidewall lettering can be put to the inside, depends what floats your boat........

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks Zippo have a look at the off road section you have confirmed my thoughts.
Looked at the same route re tyres and wheels I will go down this now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you give more details on the source of wheels and tyres?
Interested in them for our Escape.

FG

Just an update from my earlier post at beginning of December 09. I did indeed buy the 16" Tiguan San Diego (standard in Europe on the Escape/ Track and Field Model, but not UK). I fitted the wheels with Lassa Competus 4x4 215/65/16 s and am very happy with them. Road noise is slightly increased but given the winter and amount of snow we have had I am well pleased, the levels of grip in the snow have been way better than the 17" Dunlop road tyres. Also had a couple of off road tests in mud and sand dunes, again way better. Suppose it depends on how you use your tiguan but I now feel i could use these all year round...

costs:

Lassa Competus 4x4 215/65/16 ?73.25 each including VAT, fitting & balancing
VW SanDiego x 4 ?250 plus postage

Lastly one nice thing about the Lassa is that it is a bi directional tyre, therfore the white sidewall lettering can be put to the inside, depends what floats your boat........

·
Registered
5 Posts
IS there any Savannah light alloy wheels on 17" ?
I like them but for my country (RO) i think 17" is the biggest i can go with (bad roads)
NeXuS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts