VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I bought an 2021 VW Tiguan. What a mistake! I was a longtime owner of a 2002 VW Passat. My greatest disappointment with my Tiguan was the useless buttons on the overhead console, with the information, wrench(roadside assistance) and SOS buttons. Why would I want to pay XXX dollars a month subscribing to something I would never use. For one, if an emergency, I would use my cell phone as I could more likely get immediate local medical assistance. For roadside assistance, I would also use my cell phone, for the few times I would possibly need it if the Tiguan was as reliable a car as the salesman told me (I never had a breakdown or flat tire for the 20 years with the Passat) and since I have been driving for over 50 years without an accident it might be another 50 years before I needed the SOS button. So Why does VW take something that was included in my 2002 Passat that I used everyday, (sometimes several times a day), to open my Garage Door (home link), for something that is entirely useless, that they hoped stupid people would sign up for and pay monthly payments of X dollars for the privilege of nothing. If I could figure out a way to replace those three useless buttons for Home Link Buttons that would open up my garage door, I would. If any one has an idea how I can replace those buttons, I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Does VW think their customers are that stupid?

SaveShare
Reply Quote

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
To start with have you been charged a subscription for this? NO! This is an emergency feature that calls emergency services if you have a crash and reports the location. It's tied in to a built in SIM in the vehicle that's able to make the call without needing your mobile phone.

Let's assume it was so serious an accident you're injured so badly you aren't capable of phoning yourself. Wouldn't you want the emergency services there a quickly as possible to assist you?

This was a European wide initiative (you know, where the German car you chose was made) and is much more useful than garage door opener that doesn't exist in the majority of the world.

If that's all it takes for you to be disappointed in the whole car you have my sympathy.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Nicely said Richard, it would seem that there’s a massive lack of plain old common sense in the world and NA in particular these days !!

Oh and to the OP, you could always clip a remote to your sun visor for your garage door !! or even get the right gear and app for your phone and the garage door can even open as your phone gets to a certain distance from it. Oh and then you can just walk instead of wasting petrol in your Tig !!

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
56 Posts
I have a 2022 R-line, which has a built-in garage door opener. So that was one thing I looked for when buying the Tiguan. Unfortunately, many times in some brands of cars, a garage door opener is not standard equipment in all cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To start with have you been charged a subscription for this? NO! This is an emergency feature that calls emergency services if you have a crash and reports the location. It's tied in to a built in SIM in the vehicle that's able to make the call without needing your mobile phone.

Let's assume it was so serious an accident you're injured so badly you aren't capable of phoning yourself. Wouldn't you want the emergency services there a quickly as possible to assist you?

This was a European wide initiative (you know, where the German car you chose was made) and is much more useful than garage door opener that doesn't exist in the majority of the world.

If that's all it takes for you to be disappointed in the whole car you have my sympathy.
For one, I was very pleased with my prior VW that with proper maintenance gave me many years of great trouble free service,(20+ to be exact). As to my current issue, according to the manual, these buttons and the related services are not available without a paid subscription to Car-Net to the tune of $200 or more each year. That is for a service which will probably never be used. (Especially if one properly maintains their vehicle and is an attentive driver). It amazes me that VW thinks people are that stupid (perhaps they are relying on inattentive drivers and lackadaisical owners) . As I stated before, useless buttons. I took a while for VW to realize that people would not continue to pay the exorbitant prices they charged to update maps on onboard navigation system, so they thought this was a better idea to fleece the owners?

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
56 Posts
My 2022 came with Car-net free remote access for five years. With the app on my phone, I can remote start, lock/unlock doors, honk & flash car lights, create a boundary alert, curfew alerts, speed alerts, valet parking alerts, and check trip status. In addition, I can locate where my car is located, schedule service, check for recalls and service campaigns, and see service history.

Car-net in cars built before 2019 use 3G cellar. The 3-G cellar will end in 2022; unless you are a Car-net user, the functions will no longer work. If you are a Car-net user, your system can be upgraded depending on the car.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
The buttons are not dependent on car net. They are a separate safety feature. Yes car net is a subscription after the initial period, 3 years in Europe, from what chuck said 5 in the US so stop trying to claim you're being charged $200 a year for this feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts