VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else find the sports suspension on the Tiguan a little too firm. I find driving around town that my new Tiguan gives a "very firm" and fidgety ride over the pothole and manhole covers.

It may be that the suspension needs to settle in as the car has only done just over 100 miles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
..........I definitely ordered mine without sports suspension! The road conditions here are Horrendous!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Barry - its probably the suspension, but worth checking your tyre pressure to make sure they're not over inflated. Also, the type of tyre will make a difference (slightly)

Kaine

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the sport demo model out last weekend from my dealer, I also thought it a bit hard.
I went to see my dealer today to see if I can test drive the SE & if I changed my order could I get it quicker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered too mine with sport suspension at the beginning, however once we can choose for DCC (Adaptive chassis control) I switched to it) I hope this might be better one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ITs a long shot, but have a look at the suspension springs, some golfs have passes a PDI with the transport blocks still in place. These blocks stop the spring compressing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had that very problem with my Leon Cupra R. It was handling like a bag of pooh.... firstly went down the tyre route, pressures and the likes... it was only when i decided to take it for a laser 4 wheel alignment, that the guys there notice the transportaion blocks still inserted in the springs... Lets just say I fell out with the Seat dealership very quickly after that... Would hope that VW wouldn't be so slack...

·
Registered
405 Posts
chunks said:
I had that very problem with my Leon Cupra R. It was handling like a bag of pooh.... firstly went down the tyre route, pressures and the likes... it was only when i decided to take it for a laser 4 wheel alignment, that the guys there notice the transportaion blocks still inserted in the springs... Lets just say I fell out with the Seat dealership very quickly after that... Would hope that VW wouldn't be so slack...
......don't mean to sound like dummy, but what are the transportation blocks used for, and what do they look like?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rocc said:
......don't mean to sound like dummy, but what are the transportation blocks used for, and what do they look like?
Ive tried to find a pic, but no luck.

What you need to do is have a look behind the wheels at the coils springs on the suspension, if there is anything attached within the coils that would stop it compressing, that would be your problem.

If I recall, they are either bright orange which should be easy to spot, or black which wont be so easy.

I will try to find a pic, cus that would explain it better than I can with words.

·
Registered
203 Posts
another option open to you might be to get standard springs fitted. The Sport isnt lowered, so I expect it is just stiffer springs

·
Registered
7 Posts
chunks said:
Ditto with my Leon. WJ King of Bromley was the offending supplier.

The blocks on mine were yellow.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just purchased a Sport and thought it OK when test driving around Durham City on good roads, but on rural roads where I live it is a tad jittery, almost to the point of uncomfortable at times. Will check for t/port blocks to morrow

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,

I absolutely hate the sport suspension. I wish I had gone for a fully loaded SE instead of the sport.

The rear of the car sounds embarrasingly noisy when driving over anyting but the smoothest of roads. My parcel shelf seems to join the party in sympathy over most bumps and its driving me nuts. The parcel shelf is secured by a rubber block attached to the tailgate but it is not stopping it from bouncing around and causing a right din. I cant see a way of sorting it. I have already velcroe'd the boot floor and checked all of teh things like trangle and spare wheel etc. I have also checked under the car for shipping blocks - no such luck im sorry to say. I have not actually been in the back while in motion (can't persuade the other half to drive it just yet) so I suppose it could be the back seats but I don't think so.

My girlfriend has an old Clio and this is a smoother ride - how embarrasing!! Lets be honest - an old coach (horse drawn) with metal rims and leaf springs would produce a smoother ride.

Anyone know if the uprated suspension is the springs and shocks. Anyone know what the cost to change might be???

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
700 Posts
Seems like you are having a bad time there Paul and really can't offer any useful advice. I now don't notice the 'firm' ride unless it's a real bumpy side road. Still love the car and enjoy every trip in it, long or short.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Maybe its time for a visit to the service centre if it is not common. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also finding the sports suspension too firm on the crappy roads of Hampshire. I have contacted VW to find out what needs to be changed to revert to standard suspension. When I get a reply I'll post it here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Slight disagrement from me. I read reports in magazine reviews on the Sport suspension being too hard but still wanted the Sport (170). I thought it was a bit sharp but now after a year it seems OK and totally acceptable. I may have got used to it but I think it is more supple as I drive other brands of cars as well so can compare when I go back to the TIg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I have heard back from VW on this and it seems you need to change both the springs and struts to revert the car to standard suspension at a cost of around ?500 for parts and the same again for labour. They did also point out that the 19" wheels were probably equally responsible for the firm ride.

I would be interested to know if any of the after market suspension kits offer a softer ride, does anyone have any experience of this?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hmmm....now I always thought the bigger the wheel diameter the smoother the ride

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Ian66 said:
They did also point out that the 19" wheels were probably equally responsible for the firm ride.
?
I agree that the 19s will be part of the cause, how much is a bit difficult to tell. If you've got a friendly dealer you could "borrow" one on 17s or 18s and see what the difference is. There's a lot less tire wall height so while the ride will be more "precise" with bigger wheels (less side wall to flex) it will also be harsher. I changed from 18s to 17s on mine early on (I wanted more side wall for off road, would have happily gone to 16s if I could have got them)) and didn't feel a great difference but I suspect 19s are getting "up there" in the hard ride division.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 73 Posts