VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was backing out of a garage and the shark fin antenna hit the rubber seal on the garage door.
Quite honestly was super lucky. Not even a scratch.

Inspected the shark fin a bit closer - not even a scratch. That said when I pull it back the rubber comes up ever so slightly. Maybe 1/32”. Same if I push forward. It is still seated properly on car and appears to be sealed.

Just wondering is there supposed to be a bit of play if you pull the antenna? I have attached a photo. This is if I push it forward, or slightly up.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Make sure the index tab is properly in the slot. Big thing is don't over tighten the nut as it will damage the keeper you might have to rebend the keeper so it allows more compression. Snug is good on these. Just had a Hyundai in the shop the customer tried replacing the sharkfin themselves and over tightened it so it warped the hole. Had to bodywork the hole flat again. Cost her $800 to fix and repaint the roof, where a shop like us would of been a half hour labor to swap it out. (automatic car wash ripped the originals cover off)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really takes some force to make the crack seal come unflush but I guess I will have the dealer look at it.

I am a DIY guy but I would rather the dealer do this.
Any clue how many hours they may charge?

From the video online it does not seems as if the entire roof panel has to come off. Just the back where the hatch is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
You can reach it by removing the rear most header panel at the hatch and carefully pulling down the headliner. Hardest part os disconnecting the fakra connectors and removing the nut holding the fin. Its about a 30 min job knowing what you are doing. Its a diy job as my bet the sealer would charge 2-3 hours to do it and most likely want to replace it and depending on your trim level the fin at OEM cost os 2-400 dollars us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts