VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm trying to update the navigation software on my 2016 Tiguan SEL. I've done it several times, manually but this time the decompressed file is too large for the card.
Has anyone else tried the update?
What type of SD card is required, I understand they ae not standard, anyone know the answer.
I plan to buy a larger capacity card.
Thanks

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
SDXC I hear XDHC have issues with Disco units.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,088 Posts
Tiguanboy, you don't state whether your unit takes the maps from the SD card (VW map database card) or you are running an update on internal maps. Yes the first case the SD cards have a hidden identifier so you can only use genuine VW cards, but then the map data should fit on the card. Maybe you've downloaded the wrong type of file for your system. Providing more details may help us to help you.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tiguanboy, you don't state whether your unit takes the maps from the SD card (VW map database card) or you are running an update on internal maps. Yes the first case the SD cards have a hidden identifier so you can only use genuine VW cards, but then the map data should fit on the card. Maybe you've downloaded the wrong type of file for your system. Providing more details may help us to help you.
Hi tricky
My navigation runs from the SD card, which i've updated manually without problems previously.
My VW SD card is 15GB and the comperessed file says 14.7GB, after decompressing, from 97%, the finished file is 15.2GB, so it won't fit.
I've looked back on the previous copies and noticed that every update is slightly larger than the previous, the last one is just too large.
I can buy a new set of maps for about £45 but why would I?
VW mapping system has been poor to say the least but I've updated just because I could and it was useful at times.
I need a larger card, of the correct type and thats what I can't find.
Ragards Dave.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,088 Posts
Dave, iggy was referring to the 'discovery' head units which is the designation VW give the head units in the very late run out mk1's (from around summer 2015) and all mk2's. I've just downloaded the latest file for the discovery unit in my wife's T-Cross and it's 6.7GB and covers UK and near europe which is why i'm asking if you maybe selected the wrong file.

So, is your tig late mk1 or early mk2, and what's the filename you downloaded? I see for example 2 possible files, the one i downloaded is bundle 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dave, iggy was referring to the 'discovery' head units which is the designation VW give the head units in the very late run out mk1's (from around summer 2015) and all mk2's. I've just downloaded the latest file for the discovery unit in my wife's T-Cross and it's 6.7GB and covers UK and near europe which is why i'm asking if you maybe selected the wrong file.

So, is your tig late mk1 or early mk2, and what's the filename you downloaded? I see for example 2 possible files, the one i downloaded is bundle 2

View attachment 31729
Hi just downloaded the new update for my tig 2016 mk1 using Discovercare, the bundle 2 is 6.9g and the bundle 1 is 6.4g am using a vw sd card, I can’t see them being any difference in size downloading them manually.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)

View attachment 31729
Hi tricky
I have always downloaded the Bundle 1, even though I didn't really need all of europe. I've solved the issue buy downloading a smaller Bundle 2 which fits and works.
You can seen my problem, it was that I always went for the bigger coverage but alas that's now not possible, without a larger SD card.
Thanks for all your help, everyone.
REgards Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also have a similar problem trying update MIB-2 on my 2019 Allspace. The update file size is 15567Mb; Disk can only take 14695Mb. It tells me not enough space. My original card sys VW Navigation AS Europe 1 (V10)
Swingman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts