VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be driving my Tiguan at much lower RPM than most of the cars I've owned. I'm a little concerned that I may be changing up too soon and should perhaps be driving at higher revs. Would anyone like to comment?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine isn't labouring Shawng. In my Seat Leon I'd be driving at 60MPH @ 2000RPM and at 80MPH @ 3000RPM. It's much lower in the Tiguan. I'm not sure if it would be kinder for the engine to drive at higher revs and not change up so soon. Overall MPG is around 43.7.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gwladys Lol

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's a bluemotion, I have a bluemotion 6-speed manual, if I follow the gear change indicator on the dash it feels like I am at the point of stall all the time, I have even had 'smart arse' passengers say, "you changed up to some" but that is the best way to get economy out of it. When ip first got mine I regulary did trips following the dash indicator, now three years down the road I just drive it, but a big difference in economy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anything below 1500 and mine starts to sound laboured and definitely needs more like 1800 to climb hills.

It's not the revs that matter it's how far you open the throttle that decides your MPG and then you get into the discussion as to what quality of fuel you are using

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some valued comments there, thanks guys! The Gear Change Indicator is just that, an indicator of when to change gear. It was never brilliant on my last vehicle. 1500 RPM is about right for me too Parky, less RPM and the engine does sound a little rough. Regarding fuel I tend to fill-up at BP never at the Supermarket.

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
This rev/change gear issue also reared its head for the DSG box. Mine's OK now but in the first year especially the gearing was too high for the speed/revs the engine was doing! I hated it going into 7th gear and making the car shudder so much that I blipped the accelerator and/or went into tiptronic use to change down. After a year or so, that problem has settled down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm surprised that you have been affected with your DSG Box Forkbender. Glad it's resolved itself now though.

We went on a long run up to Carlisle on the M6 today and Tiggy sat at 70-75 MPH in 6th very comfortably with the revs @ 2000RPM. Through the many 50MPH speed restrictions in the invisible road works that the M6 is plagued with at the moment I had to drop down to 5th driving at 50-55MPH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.