VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VW supplied roofbars are pretty naff and have a very high profile, as such they just look ungainly!

The bars I'm going to buy are made by Atera and as I already have these bars (albeit 110cm) for my Skoda Roomster I can confirm the quality is superb, better in my opinion than Thule. They have an extremely low profile so they hug the rails and actually look like part of the vehicle.

They come in two flavours. Atera SIGNO ASR carrier - 122cm 043 122 for ?59.95 from http://www.roofbox.co.uk or Atera SIGNO ASR aluminium carrier - 122cm 043 222 for ?89.95, personally I'd go for the cheaper option which is matt black. I don't intend on carrying much on the roof of a 25k car but as I have found on many occasions, bars are extremely useful and have helped me out of many sticky situations.

Cheers

Des

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds interesting, I will investigate before going to the local VW dealer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Anyone know of any Light Accessories for the Roofbars (ie. Mini Directional Spot lights).

Or how easy could it be installed? As stated, we need all the light while driving in the dark here......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have finally fitted my roofbars but left them loose I did not secure them down as I was worried the panoramic roof would foul the bars once in a tilt or open position.

This is the roof in a partial open position, you can see there is about a 5mm gap between the top of the open roof and the bottom of the front bar.

This shows it close-up, this is quite acceptable.

However the gap between the bars narrows significantly at the rear of the car and the bars in their default (suggested position DO FOUL the open roof. You can position the bars further back but I'm not sure how safe they would be in operation. The black dots mark the correct position.

This image shows the rear bar in position with the roof open.

In conclusion the bars do fit, with modifications but I will contact Atera and see if they produce bars specifically for the Tiguan specified with a Panoramic roof.

Des

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the impression that even the VW bars state that are not made for cars with panoramic roof.....maybe this is the reason why they are pointing up so much in relation to all the other aftermarket racks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Serge,

Useful post, as I was interested in getting a set of these bars for my car. Since, I have also come across an Italian design by CAM (on ebay), where the crossbar come in two parts which telescopes into each other, resulting in no overhang outside the rail foot. But I can't make out whether it will fit the Tiguan.

In terms of your concern regarding the safety of the installation should you move the bar further backwards (away from the dot), I can offer the following: In terms of structural safety, it would be better to move the bar ALL the way to the rear or front, as the closer you get to the attachment point of the car rails to the roof, the stronger it will be, i.e. no bending or sagging.

My guess is that the dots have been marked symmetrically between the wheels or between the extremes of the roof rail attachment points (I have not checked this, though), to ensure even weight distribution on the suspension. How could a manufacturer know anyway what you intend to transport on your roof? On some Thule roof boxes, the section where the crossbar attaches is recessed into the box, so it sits lower and causes less drag. The box prescribes where the rails must go, and not dots on the rail!

Even if you did put the rails at the dot position, your box contents or other load may not be symmetrically distributed fore/aft on the crossbars, defeating the purpose of the dots.

Regards

JJJ

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an extremely fast response from Roofbox, the company I originally purchased the roofbars from.

They are going to swap my bars for a set of aero bars, that look the same as the 2122s, and the 2110 (110cm) which I have. The 3122s have a very different profile of rubber pad which accommodates this new shape of roof rail, and will be a much better fit all round.

Just a quick plug/product push

Roofbox also stock the Autoform boot liners for the high or low floor.

Thank you to Roofbox for the speedy response.

Des

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all
Just to follow on from Des's post. I've bought the Atera Signo ASR aero roof bars (3222) and 3 of the Atera Giro AF bike carriers. These are higher quality, better looking and cheaper than the VW bars and carriers.

The clearances with the panoramic roof are the same as Des has already posted. So its tight but works as long as you position the rear bar back slightly on the rails. (Although if you're not planning on opening the roof the whole way back you can put the bars in the marked position).

I wasn't really planning on having the roof open with the bikes on top (mud coming in through the sun roof is probably not the best idea), but just wanted to make sure they cleared incase it was opened by mistake.

The bike carriers slot into the top of the aero bars which works fine.
However if you have the rectangular bars instead of the aero bars, the fixings for the bike carriers wrap around the bars. These are about 5mm thick and I think would make contact with the sunroof when opened!

So I think aero bars is the way to go.

These are a good solution for me as I'm not planning on leaving the bars on when i'm not carrying the bikes, However if you wanted bars (in conjunction with the panoramic roof) that you leave on all the time, then it might be worth seeing if there were any bars available that completely clear the glass without having to reposition the rear bar. (Although as JJJ said I cant see any reason why the bars shouldn't be further back than the dots)

Ben

·
Registered
164 Posts
which box would you recommend - was thinking of a kamei delphin range- need only about 3-400 litres capacity
for have a fully grown up family for a christmas run back to uk

with a auto hela just across the border in trier . hoping for a good price as well

white tdi 125kw sport and style build date 29 july delivery 22august-

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
The lidl bars are copys of the thule aero bars and foot pack I have, the thule ones are fantastic, fit any car with roofbats in a trice and make no noise or buffeting. highly recommended, tho must say if the lidl ones are similar, they are a great buy, mine were about £120

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Schtum, have you tried the bars yet and do you have the sunroof on your Tiguan.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Schtum, have you tried the bars yet and do you have the sunroof on your Tiguan.
No sunroof and no I haven't tried them yet. It'll probably be Sunday before I get round to it. I'll post a pic or two when I've fitted them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No sunroof and no I haven't tried them yet. It'll probably be Sunday before I get round to it. I'll post a pic or two when I've fitted them.
Here we go....

I fitted these at the weekend. So far, I haven't driven the car with them on. SWMBO tells me that they whistle a bit but that she drowns that out by playing the Foo Fighters' new album really loud.

I still think they're pretty good value for thirty quid.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out this link to my earlier post:

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/2707-roof-racks/page__p__23118#entry23118

The Thule Aeros made a loud howling even at low speed adn using the open sky was nor an option. I leave my rails on now and the open sky stays open this time of year (Fall in Charleston, SC). I love the Whisbars although I admittedly paid a premium for them. Good luck! I'm going to put p some close-ups of the rails soon...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts