VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had the Navigation system fitted? Anyone got any feedback on it? I can't seem to find any real detail on it.

Does it cover Europe or just the UK?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found the following message board that has a whole section dedicated to the rns510. I believe that the maps do cover the whole of europe and there has recently been an upgrade to version3 that better supports uk post codes.

Check out: http://vwnavi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

I decided to go for it on my Tig as the rns510 got good reviews and just stops mne needing to carry my tom tom around with me every time i want to go somewhere new....

cheers
pete

·
Registered
58 Posts
peterbrown05 said:
I found the following message board that has a whole section dedicated to the rns510. I believe that the maps do cover the whole of europe and there has recently been an upgrade to version3 that better supports uk post codes.

I decided to go for it on my Tig as the rns510 got good reviews and just stops mne needing to carry my tom tom around with me every time i want to go somewhere new....

cheers
pete
Hi Pete!

Do hope the new unit is better than the one in our treg (facelift model) . It was useless in Ireland and we had to use our Tom TOm which was fabulous!

Karen

·
Registered
56 Posts
I must admit I found it quite hard to justify an extra ?1500 or whatever to get that unit for effectively my Tom Tom (at ?150). However, searching the forum, it seems that both the RCD510 (Radio version) and the RNS 510 (Nav version) have the same connector. The unit can be purchased NEW on ebay for ?990 (but you will need someone to fit it). This is going to save you at least ?500-?700!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Having used the VW system before I agree with Karen that TomTom is far better and more accurate, not to mention far cheaper !

·
Registered
82 Posts
OktaneZA said:
The unit can be purchased NEW on ebay for ?990 (but you will need someone to fit it). This is going to save you at least ?500-?700!!!
dont forget that you need an external GPS antenna though too. you can probably get one that sits under your dashboard, but i think as part of the 1.5k then they fit a roof top antenna as part of the fm antenna base. (hence the reason that they have to state in the brochure that the picture of the Tig driving away where you cant see the interior at all has the DVD Navigation fitted --- due to the stumpy antenna)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those ebay prices also include a GPS antenna
(tho I dont know how its installed). Still feel you can save a couple ??? by going that method.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-RNS510-RNS...yZ156954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From a purely functional perspective, the RNS510 postcodes only use first 4 digit, not 6/7 digits like Tom Tom. I had this on a Garmin GPS and hated it, but that is a personal preferance. For me it was leather seats or a dvd player that only works when you stopped and a gps that doesnt have the features of Tom Tom (to be fair they have upgraded the software and I havent seen V3 yet). Would be nice to get a review from someone that has it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So guys.......is the RNS-510 the only one that can play DVD Movies?

or can the RCD-510/500 play them as well?

Cheers,

Rocc

·
Registered
82 Posts
yes, i believe only rns510 can play dvd's. however the car has to be stationary too, although i believe there is some mod available that allows you to play when you driving too (to keep the kids happy).

as for installing after market, then i believe there is some tweaks needed to register the different device on the can bus. however im not a CAN expert. check out the vwnavi site for more details on this....

·
Registered
60 Posts
peterbrown05 said:

cheers
pete
Great find Pete, thanks for sharing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts