VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm based in the UK and My Satnav system has stopped working. The error message Please Insert Navigation DVD appears.

I took the car into a VW dealership thinking they would fix the issue easily but was advised that I need to insert the DVD in the system. I bought the car second hand and wasn't given a DVD and the previous owner doesn't remember receiving it either.

I've been told to buy a new DVD at a cost of £135 with the hope it will fix the issue.

The reg of the car is 2015.

Has anybody encountered this issue and been able to resolve it without buying the DVD?

The system seems to have a SD card slot.

Many thanks.

· Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,488 Posts
That's strange, because the RNS510 holds it's navigation data on an internal hard drive. Yes, you need a DVD to install it, but then the nav data remains on the disk. The only thing I can think of is the previous owner may have wiped the hard disk, rather than laboriously deleting the music he stored on it (yes you can load all your music onto the hard disk and do away with CD's or SD's)

I'd return to the dealer and insist they load the navigation data onto the car as it should have had it there when purchased.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard

Thank you for your reply. I've had the car for a few years now and the satnav/maps has been working fine then about 2 months ago suddenly stopped working showing that error message. I have since found out that the firmware version of my RNS 510 is 6276 which I understand is the latest version?

The hardware version is H27.

Do I just literally buy the DVD maps disc or SD card with the maps using the latest Maps version which I understand is version 17?

Also, how do you load the music onto the hard drive please? Bear in mind the car is a 2015 reg.

Many thanks.

· Administrator
2,488 Posts
Yup, mine was a 2015 with the same head. OK surprised the maps just stopped working, may be indicative or a disk problem possibly?

To copy music (and check the disk at the sane time) out a music CD or SD in, I can't remember exactly, but the option beside the album will have Copy function? It's a little tedious, but it means your music is on the hard drive.

If this works, then yes just get the latest CD. When you load it, it asks if you want to install it.

It's unfortunate, I had the last 3 revisions of maps CD's, but I chucked then around 6 months ago!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard

I received the DVD of the maps and they have downloaded onto the RNS510. It took about an hour and a half to download but all seems to be ok!

Looking at the console, this is what I have and the hard drive (HDD) is greyed out. Does your one look like this also? When you insert a CD does the CD button light up and then the hard drive one too when you try to copy it onto the hard drive?

Kind regards.

Attachments

· Administrator
2,488 Posts
It's been nearly 2 years since I had this car, I think it may be greyed out as there's nothing on it. Insert a CD or SD with music, select the music album, and there's an icon beside it with options and I believe one is copy. This will write it to the HD, then you should be able to select the HD as a source.

Do you have the manual for the RNS that should have cone with the car? It's all in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts