VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
EXCELLENT ONOFF :)

One thing that would help members are some written instructions providing tips and tricks, part numbers, the do's and don'ts, and other procedures worth noting. I would be ready and willing to help you write-up these instructions. I could provide you with my personal email address in a PM so you can send me your DRAFT instructions.

Thank you for your consideration.

Garry

·
Registered
878 Posts
It is very difficult to explain step by step....

But this part number you need...

Tow 5N0803880 (SEARCH EBAY) try to find whole set...
Module 1K0907383F (SEARCH EBAY)

I built the cable from the module to the car....
or you can buy this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Kufatec-Cable-Loom-Towbar-Tow-bar-Central-Electric-for-VW-Tiguan/401787006304?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

here is the wiring schema...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You need then VCDS to enable it...

Go to gateway and enable address 69,

then this if you have park assist

4.jpg

and this if you have front assist

5.jpg

I also have full instructions in pdf...

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
This should help reduce the number of questions you have to answer.

Good stuff :)

Garry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I have one question regarding tow bar 5N0803880. Is it possible to use it without connecting to the car module. What I`m asking is how is bar locked and released from its position? I can find some cheap second hand units but without module and wirining. I just need it for bike rack and I can use some bypass relay for 7 pin socket

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happy days. That's was my understanding but I have seen some cable coming out of a rotating part and wanted to make sure there is no electric mechanism locking a tow ball. I reckon is just a cable for a sensor telling Canbus that tow ball is deployed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi
I have one question regarding tow bar 5N0803880. Is it possible to use it without connecting to the car module. What I`m asking is how is bar locked and released from its position? I can find some cheap second hand units but without module and wirining. I just need it for bike rack and I can use some bypass relay for 7 pin socket

Thanks
Bypass relay will not work on the Tiguan. The tail/stop lights use a single 21W filament, for side lights its pulsed on /off to light it at the same brightness as a 5w bulb, also the indicators don't go back to 0V between flashes, so the trailer indicator lights just stay on solid (no flashes).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have insert in post 1 the pdf instructions

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Turns out there are smart relays that can "translate" signals from Tiguans canbus

They may translate the signals BUT they don’t do all the smart safety things for towing such as changing the braking and stopping the trailer from jackknifing plus adding the trailer to the alarm features etc etc. It’s beyond me why people will pay for a premium vehicle and then penny pinch on safety issues. A case of potentially “ruining the ship for a halfpennyworth of tar” !! Just my personal view, I paid to have it right and will recover the added cost when I trade it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi

Thanks
Bypass relay wil not work on a Tiguan (any many other modern cars). The side lights and stop lights use a single filament 21w bulb. It is fed short pulsed for side lights an dlong pulses for stop light. Also all lights are canbus/error warnings. Bypass relay wil not work. Several including myself have tried it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts