VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took in my car (R-Line 2014 TDI 2.0l) for the annual MOT test. I went for a walk as the car was worked on but returned to see my car on the hoist with the rear end of my car hoicked up on a single central lifting jack. I was worried but let it go at the time but now after examining the underneath I can only assume the jack was placed under the rear differential (4motion) Surely this is not correct and must or might have damaged the car as all the rear weight would be pressed up onto the differential's fixing....Can someone let me know what they know about a rear central lifting area please?. The manual says the ONLY place is the normal rear jacking points under the sills. Many thanks

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
There is no central lifting point on a Haldex Equipped VW. Has to be done by the factory lift points or the pinch welds. It has. Been known to damage and crack the housing if lifted by the differential. I have cheated and lifted off the hitch but a US hitch is different than a RoW Hitch.

Reactions: LesH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply IggytheTiggy. This is what I thought and feared. I should have challenged the tester at the time but reasoned he must know what he is doing. I've left it some time now but the worry haunts me. As I said, and you would also know, I cannot see anywhere else that a single lever jack arm could have been placed under to lift the rear of the car apart from the diff. housing. What worries me is if the shear weight has pushed the diff up into the cars structure...it would be hard to tell. However I might be imagining this, but the rear height of the car seems to be greater than I remember...(bigger clearance from wheel tops against the wheel wells). I was thinking if the diff. was now pushed higher relative to the 2x suspension trailing swing arms either side....would the angle of the drive shafts pivot the wheels down a little more and thus raise the height?

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
It honestly would be pretty hard to shove the rear differential into the body the way the rear cradle is designed, and wouldn't change any geometry or cause a rise in suspension. Sometimes it can take a few miles for the rear springs to settle back into position after even being lifted properly. Keep your eyes open for leaks and or vibrations from the rear is all you can do.

Reactions: Old Dog and LesH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks again IggytheTiggy...You have put my mind at ease somewhat. In the meantime I was trying to find a diagram or picture to show how the rear suspension is constructed and fits together. If the whole assembly is somehow bolted together and then fitted to the underside of the body this indeed would probably have spread the force of being lifted by the differential through to the body underside fairly equally. The diff casing looks intact so it seems my car might have got away with it without damage. If anyone could show the full arrangement of the Haldex diff and suspension set up it or a link to one, it would further calm my fears hopefully. Anyway, I'll never take my car to that testing station or any of the others with the same franchise ever again. Thanks so much for your help, and by the way, I have some more questions to follow :)

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Motor vehicle Font Bicycle part Automotive exterior Electric blue

Golf R shares the rear subframe with the Tiguan you can see where the Haldex bolts to the subframe assembly on the rear pad. If anything for piece of mind take it to an alignment shop and have them rack it and make sure thrust alignment is in check.

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Asphalt

Another pic with the trailing arms and links still attached.

Reactions: LesH and Old Dog

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh. Tremendous Iggy. These photos are just what I needed to see. So as you say, the Haldex diff bolts into place in the centre of this massive frame so lifting it should not have wrecked anything although I wouldn't be surprised that a few milimetres of flexing did occur, whether permanent distortion or not. We do have garages with the "Hunter" wheel alignment equipment over here in the UK so I'll have a 4 wheel alignment check done as you suggest. I think I can stop worrying now but I'll make sure I'll ask the next test station how they jack up a VW before booking with them. I'm so glad I asked on this forum as I'm a born worrier and things like this cloud my mind continually unless sorted. Thanks very much again Tiggy (y):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts