VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, i have a 2010 tdi with a shot rear diff unit...looking on ebay for one to rebuild. Mine is a Gen4 Continental controller. But i there seem to be loads of newer types, can they be used?
Automotive tire Wood Font Gas Synthetic rubber
Motor vehicle Toy Engineering Asphalt Gas

· Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,445 Posts
That's not just the diff, but the rear wheel drive haldex unit also.

Sorry, I can't help on suitability, never had to touch the one I had.

· Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Electronics are different if you have the Gen 4 you need to replace with Gen 4. Unless you are prepared to drag additional wires and a few hours of coding. Early Gen 5 did not have it but once the MQB rollover the Gen 5 has the terrain management control and that also won’t work with the 5N Tiguan platform.

why are you replacing the unit?Did yours have pump failure due to insufficient and proper servicing that led to the screen plugging? Or if it’s simply not working pull the pump clean the screen and do a full service on the Haldex side and the diff side. 2 different fluids. The Gen 4 is daily cheap to rebuild but don’t buy the parts from VW get them thru A Volvo Dealer. They are a fraction of the price. Just ask for Gen 4 Haldex off a 2010-2013 maybe later Volvo XC70. Most shops want $60 for the fluid and $30 for the filter. Volvo dealer near me it’s $50 for the service kit. And it includes all new crush washers. Just has Volvo branded fluid and a slightly different filter lid but it’s interchangeable.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply......Son has the tiguan, rear diff is whining
Automotive tire Hood Water Rim Bumper
Food Ingredient Recipe Gas Cuisine

over 70mph so needs a rebuild? we have local transmission workshop who can change seals and bearings...and as its a used car with previous owners, some ape has removed and replaced the filter with a road drill !!!!
So i was thinking of getting another complete unit and getting that refurbished, rather than taking the car of the road for a long time while it gets done.
Pump is fine, but has a slight leak from the haldex filter cover, thanks to the "ape" as they seem to have destroyed the entry to the haldex filter with a "screwdriver/chisel" to get it out.
So not sure how to play it

· Premium Member
4,070 Posts
It needs total replacement with that damage.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i temporarily fixed the leak from the haldex filter cover...got some Viton rubber gasket sheets. .5mm, i put the cover on the sheet, traced the shape out...so used that under the cover...no leak....
Then flushed out the diff oil, haldex oil is clean...... added some AMEtech metal tech10, nothing to start with but after a few hundred miles, a lot more quiet...still there but manageable for now till i get a complete rebuild .

· Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Please keep it temporary as you search for a new unit. As the additive you installed is a temporary get you home additive. When these units fail it could cause an uncontrollable situation of control loss and an accident. As many of these are out there finding one should be of little difficulty. Just be prepared to fork out the dough when you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.