VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have an issue with the Tiguan’s 5”x18” cavity located under the rear bumper? It appears to have hinge slots for a facia, but VW says nope - that’s the way it’s designed. I’m worried a cat or squirrel or wire-harness-chewing mice will make a home in the bumper void.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
In Europe the towbar lives in there. Plenty of room for the electric deployable one we have.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I'm guessing the harness is for the parking sensors. It might be 'exposed' but well sealed, never had any problem, nor heard of problems with water ingress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2022 Tiguan R-Line. It’s my wife’s commute car & she’s a shift worker. The car sits idle during her 6 days off. Regardless, this morn I “Macgyver-Ed”a facia plate held on by clear caulk. (Tape is temporary)
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
56 Posts
Yes, that opening is on my 2022 R-Line. There are many other small openings and holes in the rear bumper and area that could let rodents and other small animals can enter. It is like the engine bay there are areas they could enter. As said earlier it is rare for animals to climb up in parked cars unless parked for months. I see no need to worry under normal use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve come across this YouTube video regarding stealth tow bars.

This is the only reason I can see for the cut out. But if you’re not putting a tow hitch on the VW, I believe there should be a facia cover over it.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Definitely not EU, over here the towbar has arms that go forward into the cross members and bolt across the cross members sandwiching the arms in place. Not just bolted to the back of the bodywork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts