VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Have recently ordered an SE TDI140. I see that the RCD510 that comes with the SE model has the SD card slots on the front panel. Does anyone know if they can be used as is or if there is any way to "upgrade" the unit with patch software?

2. The RCD-510 comes with 6 CD changer. Where is the CD changer physically located?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
199 Posts
ees3dc said:
1. Have recently ordered an SE TDI140. I see that the RCD510 that comes with the SE model has the SD card slots on the front panel. Does anyone know if they can be used as is or if there is any way to "upgrade" the unit with patch software?
I noticed this but I think the SD card slot is blanked off, unless anyone else knows otherwise?

ees3dc said:
2. The RCD-510 comes with 6 CD changer. Where is the CD changer physically located?
It is built in, just feed the stereo 6 cd's.

Cheers

Des

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not actually tried yet but the slot is not blanked off in mine and dealer tells me it can be used to listen to stored music or can even view photos on the screen. Will check in next few days and let you all know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shows it in action here......

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the youtube link! That is so cool. Silly me, I thought that the two slots above the LCD display were the SD slots! So what are these slots (and come to think of it) the passenger air bag sign next to it?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
199 Posts
johniboy73 said:
Shows it in action here......

Quality, that is great. Wonder why don't they advertise the rcd510 with a SD card reader. Sandisk do an 8gb SD card
who needs CD's!!

Des

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe that the SD Card reader is only available on the RNS510 (not the RCD510). The RNS model is the 'DVD Navigation systsem' (extra ?1500).
You can play music off the SD card, or its used to transfer the music onto the built in HDD.

I understand that the SD Card reader can ONLY read upto 2Gbyte cards, rather than the high density 4gb or 8gb cards on the market today... But 2Gb still gives plently of music, plus you could burn a DVD (4.7Gb) with MP3's too, in addition to the 18GByte space on the hard disk, I doubt you'd run out of tunes on any drive in the uk.

As for the 6 cd changer, then for the RCD510 then its part of the main head unit as mentioned above. The RNS510 is only a SINGLE DVD/CD player, however you can add a 6cd changer to the central arm rest for addtiional ??'s.

hope this helps.

For more info on the RNS510 checkout http://www.vwnavi.com

cheers
pete

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The youtube video is the RCD510, not the RNS510 (I believe this has 4 buttons on each side of the LCD). It looks to me that the RCD510 does allow the SD card reader to play MP3s.

David

·
Registered
82 Posts
ees3dc said:
The youtube video is the RCD510, not the RNS510 (I believe this has 4 buttons on each side of the LCD). It looks to me that the RCD510 does allow the SD card reader to play MP3s.
my bad. you are correct. The RNS510 allows teh firmware / maps to be updated via the DVD drive, Im not sure if the RCD is updated via SD or the CD Player...

As for the SD cards then Ive read on vwnavi that they only support up to 2Gbyte cards. This might be a firmware fix in the future, or it might be a hardware limitation (im not sure)...

Sorry for the wrong info earlier.

cheers
pete

·
Registered
121 Posts
On the RCD-510 it supports MP3 and Windows media music files on the SD card only, and you can control via the radio. It does not support photos etc.

As already noted it for some reason only supports SD cards of 2Gb or less.

·
Registered
199 Posts
5erge said:
Sandisk do an 8gb SD card
who needs CD's!!

Des
Follolwing on from recent posts
2gb SD card
who needs CD's!! lol

Des

1 - 12 of 12 Posts