VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't bother ordering the multi function steering wheel and at ?210 who could blame me. For what is basically a bog standard wheel with buttons.

I'd rather upgrade the entire wheel. I asked for the R32 wheel with stereo/phone controls and VAGPARTS quoted me approx ?310, should be able to get a further discount on that
. BTW, this wheel is the same one as fitted to the Tiguan R Line.

So, as long as everything else is there for fitment, the slip-ring, and multi-function cable, which I'm pretty sure it would be then this will be my second upgrade
want those Black Hella lights first.

Des

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Hi The "standard" wheel fitted for the NZ spec cars is a multifunction one that has stereo / phone / cruise controls on it (not at all certain how any of them work, particularly the phone ones ?? perhaps with some bluetooth option ??), so not sure if this is the same multifunction wheel in the UK ?? and / or what are the differences with the R32 wheel ?

Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts

it looks like this the R32 wheel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
johniboy73 said:
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/izp/volkswagen_r32_base_2008_interior_steeringwheel_640x480.jpg

Thats the one he needs, but the picture in vagparts is more like this (fitted to a beatle)

Jon

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are they easy enough to fit? I see they don't come with the airbag, would the current steering wheel from the Tiguan fit into the R32 version, would it need any other parts?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I suspect not, a fitting guide for the old version is given here

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/137463/1206314.aspx

however, it might be worth while paying your dealer as playing with airbags isn't the best idea on a new car - I also suspect that you'll need to go into the VAG-COM / CAN Bus if you have the multifunction version to enable the appropriate buttons

I'm tempted, but will probably wait for a while

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Kaine said:

I just added a massive list of words that a censored - clearly that one was too

Kaine
The funny thing is (as I'm sure you know) it only "beeps it out" when you actually post it, so you start checking it on the Forum and here's this "bleep" and you think "what the * did I *ingwell put in the *ing thing that got *ing bleeped for * sake

Would have to say that I'm not greatly in favour of censorship in these forums, after all we are adults to be car owners and while there are a few words that maybe should be banned I think in general that we should be able to censor ourselves, BUT it's not my forum and I respect the "bosses" decision

Cheers

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I do tend to agree, however I'm also very concious of younger children's interest in cars and hence wanted to be as responsible as I could and add the word censor - to be honest I do need to thin it out a bit

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Kaine said:
I do tend to agree, however I'm also very concious of younger children's interest in cars and hence wanted to be as responsible as I could and add the word censor - to be honest I do need to thin it out a bit
That's cool, it's your call, I'm an old "beep" who's kid's have flown the coup (well actually only 1 kid, a 27 year old daughter who's just got married) so I don't think of those things as much anymore.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
johniboy73 said:

BTW, this is the exact same wheel as the MKV GTI in the US, it can't be THAT much to buy an empty (no Airbag) GTI steering wheel, can it?

NZ, if you have never used the GTI/R32 steering wheel I can see why you say nothing is different.... but it feel better than any other steering wheel I've owned. I am still going to try to see if I can get someone at the dealer to swap the tig's steering wheel for the one out of the GTI.. because if I don't, I'll regret it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really wanted the MFSW. The stock car I bought had this missing option so I asked the dealer to retrofit one. Agreed a price (I really really wanted it!!). They tried the wheel and everything fitted except the airbag. What ....the airbag is different on the MDSW!!!....you are joking!! NO!!

I wasn't paying for another airbag. To be honest I've not realy missed it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is the airbag a generic piece of Veedub kit? Basically I can get a MFSW with buttons which is the same as mine in shape and look etc, but it has no airbag. Am hoping it can be fitted from one wheel to another.

Thanks Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts