VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Greetings all,

MOT done today & passed but advisory on all 4 discs badly corroded on the inner side, pitted & scored.

Halfrauds quoted £700 for good quality discs & pads all round because we have an R-Line vs a standard Tiguan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After I stopped laughing & politely told them thanks but no thanks I did some online searches and have found the following.

Brembo front discs, Brembo front pads & rear pads for £203 (including discount) from Eurocarparts. For some reason they don't do rear discs of any make.

Brake parts.co.uk sell Bremtech (not used this make previously) and do a performance rear brake disc for £94 a pair - anyone used them and are they any good?

So, all in just under £300 which I think seems reasonable and a couple of hours at the most on the drive vs £700 at Halfrauds.

Has anyone found any better deals on decent brands as I don't want to put £20 each brake discs on the car?

TIA for any replies / recommendations :twoup:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I bought pagid fronts and rear coated discs. Fronts £130, rears were less than £20 each from eurocarparts shop local.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pagids from carparts4less. Basically ECP but have different offers and discounts running. Online company only though but delivered to your door and very well priced. Chanded discs and pads all round fresh brake fluid and there is a huge difference in feel, no squealing no rust ( early days yet but the discs don't tarnish as quickly as the old ones)
I've used pagid on a few different cars and havent had a bad word to say about them yet

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I too have an advisory from my local tyre fitter that I will need disks and pads all round shortly as all disks badly corroded on the inner side, yet the outside look good. My point and question is why do the disks corrode on the inner side only ?

Anyone have any idea why ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know if the Tiguan has an integrated wear sensor on the front pads as per the attached picture as this is the first time I've had to buy pads for the Tiguan & don't want to buy something that I don't need & can save myself a few quid on pads without this sensor?

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,986 Posts
There is a sensor

Reactions: T1gR

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a sensor
Thanks Shawn!

This means that after a bit of searching I have found a full Brembo set up including the front pads with the wear sensor for £205 with free delivery :twoup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did halfrauds tell you they needed replacing? Have you had a look at the condition yourself or had a second opinion?

I know that they have told my mum that her tyres need replacing, even they are 2 years old with 6 mm left.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did halfrauds tell you they needed replacing? Have you had a look at the condition yourself or had a second opinion?

I know that they have told my mum that her tyres need replacing, even they are 2 years old with 6 mm left.
Halfrauds marked them down as a Red advisory for the brake discs and am amber for the pads all round.

I haven't checked myself, am going to do that this afternoon now that it has stopped raining :smile:

To be fair, they are the originals so have done 52k & are 5 years old so I don't mind replacing them if they need to be done. I just don't like the fact that they tried to rip me off with their pricing when a local garage (who I have used multiple times in the past & trust them) have this morning quoted £170 to fit new discs & pads all round including a brake fluid change, so pretty much half price with me supplying the discs & pads myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put EBC Yellowstuff (fast road pad but R90 rated i.e. street legal) on with EBCs plain but coated disks (so no orange hubs after getting wet!).

They do seem to have a little more bite than stock and no additional noise. Work from cold.

I bought directly from EBC.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We too got that advisory on the MOT and after much discussion ended up fitting VW economy discs and pads at a significant cost reduction (circa £400 all round) but I can't tell the difference between those and premium and if they're just going to fail early, why should I pay for the VW premium parts?

Can't say I'm happy at them needing replacement at 29k and while pads still have more than 50% friction material left on them.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Cheers

·
Administrator
5,986 Posts
Early brake replacement has been discuss countless times on the forum. Each and every time it's the same things

1- Lack of lubrication on the sliding surfaces

2- lack of corrosion protection on the sliding surfaces (see #1)

3- lack of servicing to do #1 and #2

4- driving habits

5- not driving enough

Disc brakes love to be used hard in order to sand off 'morning rust' and need to get hot in order to 'boil off' moisture. Trying to save your brakes by downshifting and braking lightly is a recipe for early replacement. Drive it like you stole it, scare the wife, service annually, and they will last much longer.

Economy parts will last less time, but that is what you get for paying less.

Reactions: Old Dog
1 - 14 of 14 Posts