VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2011 Tiguan 2.0 TSI only to find out it's getting 14 mpg in rural driving. Changed spark plugs and it didn't improve much. Has anyone had much success with cleaning carbon buildup off the intake valves? Does it make much of a difference?

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,441 Posts
Have you done a search for this? There's a lot on this from former members about this topic

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just purchased a 2011 Tiguan 2.0 TSI only to find out it's getting 14 mpg in rural driving. Changed spark plugs and it didn't improve much. Has anyone had much success with cleaning carbon buildup off the intake valves? Does it make much of a difference?
14mpg is about 6km/l, which is the mileage for city driving. If rural driving is almost the same as city, it is correct...

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
I don't know about the petrol Tig, but my 2 litre petrol Volvo XC40 around the city gives around 30 mpg. Given an older engine tech, and US gallons being less than UK gallons i'd say 20 to 25 would be reasonable, 14 extremely low. The US engines are prone to carbon build up as their fuel is less 'clean' than in Europe.

There are many threads on here about this, from our US members, shawng being one of them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With my 2009 2.0 TSI engine when it is in good condition I get 21-26 mpg highway, 26-33 mpg extra city and 14-19 in city traffic. I did a carbon clean at 120K - little difference in fuel mileage. Maybe you need to do engine diagnostics.

Reactions: Lins

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
Harry, Can you quieten your signature down a little, it's quite loud!

• Haha
Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
56 Posts
Harry, Can you quieten your signature down a little, it's quite loud!
I would gladly do it if I knew how. I looked at my account and didn't see an option to change. I never intended it to look like this.

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
Your signature had a size=85 control just before the word auto

I've removed the supersizing...

Reactions: harry
1 - 8 of 8 Posts