VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now had a day of driving my new Tiguan and can say that it is truly fantastic. The only strange thing is the parking brake which has some funny logic.
My driveway is on a slope so to pull away after starting up I have to hold the car on the clutch and accelerator and flick the brake off, this is because you cannot activate the autohold until the car has been driven for a short distance. Then there is the issue of remembering to put the autocontrol on every time you restart the engine.
I am sure with time I will master this new device but it does seem to have a strange logic built into it.
Mustn't whinge as I really like the car.
Does anybody else share my views

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi...I don't quite agree with what you say about setting the 'autohold'. I, too, have a driveway like the north face of the Eiger but find that when I get in, put on seat belt, start Tigi, foot on footbrake and release parking brake and immediately set 'autohold'...it engages while I then select gear and drive off. I haven't found that I have to move off before the autohold will activate. Or am I missing something??

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should be able to engage autohold without having to move first. I have had occassions when the autohold won't engage for a few seconds but nothing more than that. the reason the autohold dis-engages when the car is turned off, is a natural safety feature (same goes if you take off your safety belt).
cheers
karl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for all the advice it works as you said.
The only worry I have now is my wife remembering the right sequence of events, she hasn't driven the car yet and is a little nervous of the parking brake.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Barry & others, who are confused,
The electronic parking brake can be released in many different ways on Tiguan's with a manual gearbox.
1/ By pressing on the brake pedal firmly & pressing the electronic parking brake button releases the brake.
2/ With the engine running press the electronic parking brake button & either press the brake pedal firmly or gently depress the accelerator this also releases the brake.
3/ The Tiguan can also be just driven away as the electronics automatically detect that the vehicle is been driven away & automatically releases the brake at the appropriate point. Unless moving off with a heavy load or trailer the electronic parking brake button will not need to be released manually.

The Auto hold is a good gadget as it electronically applies the brakes if it senses that you are stationary & automatically releases when you move off as above. On my Tiguan the Auto hold can be activated as soon as the ignition is switched on but will not interfere with pulling away as normal.

Local to where I live we have many hills of 1:4 etc & the electronic parking brake & Auto hold work very well indeed as my partner soon found out on her first driving experience with the Tiguan & an electronic parking brake.

All this information is in the hand book section 3.2 Driving page 14 onwards, but playing with it in the car is the best way to familiarise yourself with it.

Hope all this helps.

It is as easy as just driving off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Charles

The suggestions you made are very helpful. I now appreciate that all I have to do to pull away on the incline of my drive is to put the auto hold on and not touch the parking release.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On number 3 in the list above...

"3/ The Tiguan can also be just driven away as the electronics automatically detect that the vehicle is been driven away & automatically releases the brake at the appropriate point. Unless moving off with a heavy load or trailer the electronic parking brake button will not need to be released manually"

Mine only appears to do this if the clutch is fully depressed first (as per manual), When I picked my car up the salesman did not know this, when he demoed the car and could not get it to 'auto release'!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts