VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Patrick, there are a lot of discussions on moldings. If you do a forum search for Moldings or mouldings you will see a number of threads on this subject. I recall seeing the company in your link one time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think this is probably the main thread http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/3449-body-side-mouldings/ - one member, mike2020 says in post 61 he bought some but I didn't see any follow up comment.

I got some of the black Pawa ones off eBay in a bit of a panic - if it'd realised that Pepper Gray in the US is the same as our Nimbus Grey I'd have bought the painted ones.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You should be very careful with these, you need strong doublesided chemical safe tape and it must be correct thickness.

It's not good to fit crappy designed mouldings because sand and small particles get trapped between plastic, tape and door paint.

if you dont wash it enough often and moulding is too tight, it may scrub off clearcoat, following paint and then zn layer.. after that it's hello rust.

I have taken off passanger side mouldings and even original ones had hard plastic nub or thingies poking out which were not leveled in factory.. it might be that all cars have that design flaw, lets call it that way.

it already had taken off clearcoat on mine but little touchup and fine sandingpaper on moulding did the job.

Havent bothered to do driver's side tho. but should...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have taken off passanger side mouldings ..
Did they come off fairly easily - how did you do it?

I was concerned about them damaging the paint but the Tig is my wife's car - her last car gathered lots of door dents and that swage line on Tiguan is bound to suffer horribly, it got a scuff on her very first trip out in the car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did it just as repairshop manual told me to do.

Have a heatgun! Unscrew all screws afaik 3 for front and 2 for back door.. anyway as much as you can see, unscrew.

remove rubber from bottom, it's in place with couple of glue dabs.. which are not needed anyway and gives better cleaning options for future if need so you can remove them and put back anytime.

be gentle with heatgun! not high temp!!! you just need to get doublesided tape softer and you can also use some sticker remover spray.. afaik tesa has special product for it.

you can also use home heater, I dont know english word... that thingie with propeller which blows hot air :D but ofcourse heatgun is more convenient.

heat moulding outer edges.

also be prepared to brake couple of dowels as they are socketed into mouldings and pushed into door outer skin, basically plastic dowel pins and black rubber caps covering them.

buy new ones in advance! they are not expensive.

just pull moulding outwards and all ok, do not bend it excessively and do not grab it too much from bottom, do not yank it against door or you could damage paint.

in theory it's possible to slide that moulding off once tape is loosened but as always it wont work out.

(sun baked door and moulding should come off almost like butter)

I also damaged coupel of socets in mouldings but not putting these dowls back didnt affect anything and they are still staying on like new.

ok.. now putting mouldng back on.

clean outer edges where double sided tape is supposed to stick to.

get 3M .... pff grey doublesided foam? tape. it's the same thing thats used on original ones! it must be special tape because it must be chemical resistant, so it wont dissolve if you use tar remover and other washing chemical.

supermarket tesa doublesided tape will not work!!

heat moulding outer edges as you apply tape (good for 2 people job)

now heat car door outer panel and make sure it's clean!!

peel tapes other side film off and push it into door.

apply firm force and make sure that tape contacts nicely everywhere.

screws in, lower rubber seal back on and done!

easy job! use caution, be smart and dont rush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.