VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer has just phoned with an offer(after they have discussed it at length with VWs Regional Manager Alan Thomas today);

Because I am now going to have to wait until at least August for my Tigi and I didn't really want to retax my GTi (hence ordering for a late March/early April delivery) they will take my Golf now at the agreed part exchange price and sell me their demo Tiguan Sport Auto at cost price. They will keep my original Tigi on order for me and take the demo back in part ex whenever that arrives(although they are going to set a fixed depreciation cost per month around the equivalent of their monthly write down figure(approx 400-500 per month ,although this is currently just guess work).

Their other option is for me to stay in the GTi but the part ex figure will have to be renegotiated at a book drop of approx 300 per month until Tigi lands.

Or, I could always cancel, and they would fully understand my decision if that is what I decide to do!
Sounds like that is what they are hoping for to me!!!!



HELP, What should I do???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
If it were me I'd hold on to the Gti and tax it for 6 months.You can always cash complete months of tax in.I've done it loads of times,no hassle.
I'd then shame the dealer into honouring the trade in price when your Tiguan arrives.Others on here have done that.
I personally wouldn't rent a car (that's what you're doing in effect) for what could be ?2500.00.
Obviously there's a problem with the box,I'd wait for them to sort it out.
Just my opinion.
Now,if they were to sell you their Tiguan at cost,take your Gti at the agreed price and allow you to cancel your order !
That's what I would be batting for!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
My 2c - I tend to prefer the most straightforward option so I would stick with the Golf for now but ask why they are not prepared to hold the PEX given it's VW who have extended the lead time, It seems other dealers are doing this.

From the numbers you've been given it looks like even if they insist on depreciation being applied you probably end up with less reduction staying with the golf than with the 2nd hand Tig.

Have they confirmed the August date? My dealer said the estimated date for mine was August (wk 34) but it was still not confirmed and once the hold-up on auto's was cleared they expected the date to come in so you might end up with a shorter wait anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get where you are coming from, however;
1)If I tax GTi for 6 months and Tigi doesn't arrive 'til August then there is nothing left to cash in

2)The Sport Auto is a very rare beast now and looks likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, could I possibly make more selling it privately when the time comes than trading it back in?

3) I really want a Tigi now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so confused as to what to do for the best, and the dealer is saying they are not going to stand by the p ex value.
As my other half is quick to point out though, the dealer is the only winner in this situation and despite my willingness to help them out by giving them the GTi now so it doesn't depreciate and still has 12months warranty remaining, they are basically saying its not their fault and not their problem, like it or lump it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tpautig said:
Have they confirmed the August date? My dealer said the estimated date for mine was August (wk 34) but it was still not confirmed and once the hold-up on auto's was cleared they expected the date to come in so you might end up with a shorter wait anyway.
The August date is till unconfirmed, they did say yesterday however, that another of their Sport orders went to week 44 yesterday! Thats approx October!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
If the dealer is being so arrogant and stingy why reward them? At the least take your business elsewhere.

Perhaps contact other dealers and see if they'd sell you a similar demonstrator?

Are you able to relax your Tig spec? It seems there are new Tigs available quite quickly depending on what mix of options you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tpautig said:
If the dealer is being so arrogant and stingy why reward them? At the least take your business elsewhere.

Perhaps contact other dealers and see if they'd sell you a similar demonstrator?

Are you able to relax your Tig spec? It seems there are new Tigs available quite quickly depending on what mix of options you want.
The dealer is arrogant generally, good from an ex colleague hey? They seem to forget that I used to work for VW and now work for Lexus, and understand the concept of customer service.

The problem I have is that I don't really want to relax the spec, I want the toys. The demo they are "offering" me is an auto, something I don't really want, the only things it has in its favour are;
1) its Reflex Silver
2) it has Park Assist
oh yeah, one more thing;
Its a Tiguan!!!

I wasn't even looking at changing the GTi until the Tig appeared, and then I had to have one.

VW have me over a barrel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
If it's not auto you need then I'd do two things;

1. sleep on it and not get panicked into a decision by the "ex-colleagues"
2. try other dealers who pre-ordered something different or who haven't used up their 2008 quota

I agree about the want-need-must have aspect of the Tig, they must have mixed some narcotics in with the new car fragrance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Tax the GTi and wait for the car you really want, DO NOT COMPROMISE....

My dealer is sticking to my PX price no matter how long the Tig takes to arrive, try and push that deal with them, it's not your fault VW have massive delays and it's not your dealers fault either, however, with the credit crisis and general cost of living increases the dealer should do everything they can to retain you as a loyal customer.

Des
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
rachel,

I'd give the dealer two options;

1) I'm happy to keep the order as is and wait for August, however as the date is still unconfirmed I'd like my deposit back (I'd cant really afford for them to have ?500 of my cash for so long - or whatever your deposit is) - I'd be happy to give them a letter of intent instead

2) Cancel the order

Kaine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob

They are offering me a Sport Auto, Reflex Silver with Park assist. Registered late Jan 08 I think, for ?21257. It has approx 1800miles on it.
They are talking a guaranteed drop of around ?400-?500 per month!

Just taxed the GTi! Slept on it and I will fight my corner regarding the part ex price on the GTi, the order form says in black and white that the estimated delivery date of the Tigi is "ASAP", not my problem that VW can't supply it any quicker than the now suggested August/September time. Nowhere on there does it say that my p ex has been valued for a specific time. I think I have a case to battle with them if needs be. With them having said yesterday that they are going to have to adjust the p ex at the book drop rate of ?300 per month, I think there is definately a battle coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
rachel said:
Rob

They are offering me a Sport Auto, Reflex Silver with Park assist. Registered late Jan 08 I think, for ?21257. It has approx 1800miles on it.
They are talking a guaranteed drop of around ?400-?500 per month!

Just taxed the GTi! Slept on it and I will fight my corner regarding the part ex price on the GTi, the order form says in black and white that the estimated delivery date of the Tigi is "ASAP", not my problem that VW can't supply it any quicker than the now suggested August/September time. Nowhere on there does it say that my p ex has been valued for a specific time. I think I have a case to battle with them if needs be. With them having said yesterday that they are going to have to adjust the p ex at the book drop rate of ?300 per month, I think there is definately a battle coming.
I'm in the same boat with my Touareg, the dealership have said they are willing to stand by my p/x which was negotiated when i ordered the Tig on the 16th Feb... I dont think you'll have much of a fight on your hands with regards to the p/x figure.... my understanding from a conversation with VW UK Customer Care, if the order exceeds 16 weeks, which lets be fair is going to.... VW UK are then obligated to step in and source another vehicle at no cost to the dealer or customer, even if this means they pay the further depreciation of your p/x... I have repeated this to the Sales Manager and Dealer Principle and they are both very aware of this... So for now I have also had to re-tax my Treg, but boy they will regret not sorting me out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
is the 16 week provision written down anywhere, on their website?

I haven't reached the 16 week point yet but, like others on this board, it would be very useful to have that in the back pocket and not have to resort to hot coals, pleading, begging, tears etc when I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I know how you feel rachel, when i first saw the Tig face to face i had to have one. fortunately, the dealer had a Black pearl SE sitting in the show room (not a test-drive demo, so no notable mileage on it) Since the wife and I didn't want park-assist or any other extras, we were able to pick up the Tig the next weekend. If I had to wait for a Tig, I would...trust me it's worth the wait...

cheers
karl

rachel said:
tpautig said:
If the dealer is being so arrogant and stingy why reward them? At the least take your business elsewhere.

Perhaps contact other dealers and see if they'd sell you a similar demonstrator?

Are you able to relax your Tig spec? It seems there are new Tigs available quite quickly depending on what mix of options you want.
The dealer is arrogant generally, good from an ex colleague hey? They seem to forget that I used to work for VW and now work for Lexus, and understand the concept of customer service.

The problem I have is that I don't really want to relax the spec, I want the toys. The demo they are "offering" me is an auto, something I don't really want, the only things it has in its favour are;
1) its Reflex Silver
2) it has Park Assist
oh yeah, one more thing;
Its a Tiguan!!!

I wasn't even looking at changing the GTi until the Tig appeared, and then I had to have one.

VW have me over a barrel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just off the phone from the dealers, they will NOT stand by the part ex price on the GTi, the price they have given me if for April and after that I will just have to keep stumping up cash each month as the book drop takes effect.

They seem to be pushing me to cancel, they say that is what they would be expecting me to do.

Finally got a figure on their demo Tig- ?529 per month drop as they would suffer that amount in write down costs. they appreciate that that is a far from tempting offer!

VW are obviously too big a company to care about upsetting their loyal customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tpautig said:
is the 16 week provision written down anywhere, on their website?

I haven't reached the 16 week point yet but, like others on this board, it would be very useful to have that in the back pocket and not have to resort to hot coals, pleading, begging, tears etc when I do.
To the best of my knowledge the 16 week thing is not in writing anywhere, however, I have just had a long chat with VW Customer Care who have again confirmed that they will provide ANYBODY who has had to wait more than 16 weeks from time of order with a support hire car at no cost to the customer. All you need to do is ask the retailer to put a request through Dialog to Customer Care and a car will then be organised.

They have also just told me that dealers are no longer allowed to accept any further Tiguan orders until the current backlog has been cleared. Their main priority now is to clear the backlog as swiftly and efficiently as possible and to give loyal customers (who have already placed an order) priority treatment over any new customers.

At least with this point clarified I at least feel a little reassured that I won't be losing out too much whilst waitng for Tigi to land.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Yes the 16 week loan car is for real. I am getting one next week (fingers crossed). I have spoken to VW uk and the dealers and they are sorting it out for me. Still no build date though, but I figure that if I have got there car they may get there finger out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
What car are they providing?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top