VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I bought the new style antenna one year ago and finally I changed it.

Wanted to this in the summer because the headliner needed a good clean (due to some water leaks in the past). Summer already ended and I really needed to do this.

So first, remove headliner

r1ygwo.jpg

Remove head console (open the alarm sensors, 2 bolts, then take out the sunglasses storage compartment, more 2 bolts appear). Central pillar, remove Airbag Plastics, bolt appears. Sun visors and hand grabbers are easy. no need to take out the rear lights and sun visor lights.

5v6m83.jpg

Old antenna

zlvvwn.jpg

New antenna

120m4n9.jpg

Problem: The old antenna is FM, the new one is GPS + GSM.

The car has 2 FM antennas, it still works when you remove one.

The 2nd antenna is connected in the rear window

21vl10.jpg

but window is prepared to have 2 antennas.

2z59nxg.jpg

Just need to solder and put new antenna connected to the cable that was previously in the roof antenna

13z0axd.jpg

Testing the new antenna with the help of RNS510 secret menu, same coverage as with old antenna (bar with signal help to do this)

2a98ysl.jpg

After just need to connect GPS to RNS and GSM to bluetooth

282f9lx.jpg

also took the opportunity to install rear foot lights

2wri8tj.jpg

Also started to retrofit the cable for the bluetooth 3 buttons on the head console, but cable was to short. The guys from Carsystems probably do this cable for golfs and passats but for the taller cars it's short.

PS: To OP: I receive picture limit, I can't use google photos links because doesn't end with .jpg, so I have to import all pictures manually to hosting site, not easy to share info on our forum

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Well done n4s and thanks for sharing with us. It was a big project just to replace the antenna, but you did take the opportunity to put in rear foot well lights and run the bluetooth cable. You mentioned it was too short. Did you end up installing a longer one? I am curious as to how many man-hours were involved in what you did?

As for removing the headliner is there any chance to get a more detailed write-up on how to remove it. I can't recall if anyone else has ever posted these instructions??? I don't think so. I do recall our member Naresh would have liked to do this to remove his roof rails I believe, while another member wanted to add roof rails, Both required removal of the headliner which put an end to their plans.

Have you tried using Photobucket n4s to upload further pics?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Old Dog

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
So, for the cable I haven't done anything yet but I think I will solder some cables to increase it. The hard thing is the connectors and that I have. Even so I tested this on the weekend, so I will write to the guys from Carsystems to see what they say.

I haven't put the headliner yet, if someone needs some photos I can take, I see very easily how roof bars are mounted.

In 1h you can take the headliner (without pilar C). Elsawin says it's not necessary to remove the back pillars. I removed them because I had to pass the cables to the front. To remove its necessary to unscrew the top part of boot sides.

This tutorial helped me

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/headliner-removal-and-overhead-light-replacement-mk5-vw-jetta/

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Thanks n4s for your reply and the link..

If it isn't too much trouble when you have a minute, no rush of course, could you take some pics of where all the roof rails are just to give us all an idea what the heck it looks like under there? Any other areas of interest would be great too, thinking of the drain tubes for example.

All this would be useful for a possible start of a thread on the headliner removal.

Cheers!

Garry

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Update:

Car went to VW and front drain tubes were replaced.

After getting the car I checked the work and saw that rear drain tubes were starting to degrade. Went back to the shop and they told they had put a glue that doesn't let water leak, I told them I want this to be perfect, so rear tubes were ordered, waiting for them.

Now the brand new front tubes are leaking!!! It's just some drops but it's to much.

It's amazing how VW draining system is so good.

http://i61.tinypic.com/35cfwvb.jpg

So much time without the headliner, I miss it.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
From the salvage overhead I got for the LEDS, I do have the US version and trim of the BT module Buttons if you are needing it..

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
I Have a Spare US BT Button,if you are needing it.. I am unaware of any "Conference" Call button. Here in the US, I have a Mute, PTT and BT link button.. I always found it odd to have the mute above me and a PTT, but no way to mute without recoding the PTT to Mute on the wheel..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really like the antenna upgrade n4s and wondering how the antenna seals itself to the vehicle. Is there glue involved or if it sealed with the rubber seal/gasket that is attached? Looks good!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks.. Good to know. Ive always thought about doing something like this (Its looks really good) but didn't want the headache of it leaking or not fitting right.

Appreciate the link. Glad to see that it looks like a quality part!

Thanks..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to upgrade my old antenna on my 2008 Tiguan with a shark fin antenna VW part number 3C0035507AA to fit my RNS510 radio. Would this be the right antenna to fit ?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Answer is Yes and No

The No part :-

Your year of car takes feed 1 from roof top for AM & FM channel 1

Channel 2 for FM come's from the rear tailgate window

Reason for 2 channels is for the "diversity" circuit build into your RNS (google diversity on fm radio's)

The Yes part :-

the sharks fin can contain the antenna for the sat/nav part of your radio,

It cannot give you the reception performance of your current setup on AM and FM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dear n4s,
could you give us some information?
What is the part number of the 2nd antenna receiver?
How did you connect the receiver to the window?
Please, explains to us about the red cables on the receiver.
Thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Meraklis, please edit your profile and add your Tig info and location.

Thanks

Old Dog
Admin

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dear n4s,
could you give us some information?
What is the part number of the 2nd antenna receiver?
How did you connect the receiver to the window?
Please, explains to us about the red cables on the receiver.
Thank you in advance!
Did this quite some time ago, don't remember anymore but check on ETKA. It's the one that restyle tiguan uses on the Right side, even if it's installed on the left.

You have online version that I already explained in this forum how to use: https://ifinterface.com/page/page3.php?langid=1

Like I wrote you just solder a cable to the place in the window.

The red cables are only for test. If you check electrical scheme in Elsawin you see that one connect to window and the other are in short circuit. The short circuit is only information to know that cable is connected. If cable is removed the 2 pins are not shorted and error will appear in car scan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts