VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan TSi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Recently I bought a second hand 2011 Tiguan 118TSi and fell in love with it from the moment I took it for a test drive. It has 105,000km on the clock and is in really good condition.
When I took it for a test drive it was idling a bit rough and the engine light came on. I was assured by the dealer that they would fix it and signed all the paperwork with the understanding it was an easy fix.
A week later I was driving the car home from the shops, rolled up to a red light in a 40km/hr zone and the car shuddered with the engine light coming on and the EPC light. Car immediately went into limp mode but managed to get home (luckily I was only two streets away.

move forward a few days and it’s back with the dealer. Thankfully we have a statutory warranty here that the dealer needs to fully repair a defective second hand vehicle for three months post purchase at no cost to me.
Initially was told it was the spark plugs and coils which were being replaced only to be told the error message was still being thrown and would need to be investigated. I have now been lucky enough to get a loan car while my little tig is still in the shop but almost a week later and still without tig.

just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and what they have encountered with the EPC and engine error?

the dealer hasn’t told me what error code it is or other info but just hoping to understand what it could be. When I asked what happened with the original issue during the test drive all the dealer could tell me was the code had been cleared, no record of any work actually being done….Hoping that I wasn’t sold a lemon!!

·
Administrator
5,983 Posts
The short answer is yes, a lot of people have experienced a CEL and EPC light at some point in ownership on almost every vehicle ever made. Is it the same problem, who knows. At last check there are over 10,000 different trouble codes that can turn on those lights. Which ones are active on your car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shawng beat me to it.
As mentioned that light could be a whole host of various issues from something simple and cheap to fix through to more complex and expensive.
Most of the time the time it is just something simple.
I think with things like this it is more annoying that it is broken than the time to fix it.
A good competent garage should be able to trace the fault quite quickly.
Hope you get sorted soon but no matter how long it takes it will be worth it as long as the garage gets it done correctly first time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts