VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.0 TSI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to get half my front drive shaft off my 2013 Tiguan, just not sure how to remove the rest or if there is any chance I can replace the boot as it is?
part #5n0407766
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Boot kits with grease do exist but it's merely a bandaid. It will fail again shortly. Look for putting and rust on the drive balls that are already there.

As far as removing the stub they do make a puller but I've got in with a pry bar and popped them off when they separate like this.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
220 Posts
Yep, its just a pull out job, but good luck with it! As you've found out there's not a lot of room!

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
You will be better off in the long run doing it right, pop the inner shaft off and get a new axle. The reason why it was oil was it got the grease so hot it liquidized it. Look at the balls, the are most likely discolored and and pitted, the balls and the lands must be perfectly smooth and even. A boot kit with grease is a temporary fix only. You do not want this to fail and leave you stranded as it's getting to be summer in your parts. Do it right, donut once, and do not buy a cheap remanufactured part. Spend the money and get another 100k out if it. I treat all my repairs to running gear as if my grandma us driving it. Plus sudden snap of an axle could cause control loss if vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 2.0 TSI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Iggy, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the drive shaft. I ripped the boot when I was changing the suspension mounts. I watched a youtube video on replacing the mounts without disconnecting the drive shaft from the hub and when I tried to get the suspension back into the wheel bearing housing it just wouldnt go hence ended up ripping the boot. So if its possible to clean it fill it with grease and put a new boot on then Im all for the easy option to get back on the road

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
If you go that route just pack it as well as you can and if you don't have that special crimp pliers do the best you can to make sure both ends are tight. I have had zero success repacking them after even accidentally pulling them apart. If the balls are not in the exact ones they came out of you will have a vibration till they wear into the new slot. That's the key reason why replace is always better than a gamble. Good luck to which ever way you choose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts