VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tiguan is 10 days old. We initially thought the issue was just our lack of familiarity with the new tech. Our previous vehicle had far less. So the navigation on the cockpit console works 100% fine. However, any time we use the media center screen for navigation, the vehicle icon, the little arrow with the circle around it drops off the bottom of the screen. I can manually drag it back to the center but a moment or two later ... off it goes. Anyone else running into this?

I have spoken with the dealership and They are going to arrange a loaner and then,I hope, replace the navigation module. As I mentioned we are 10 days in and this was present from day one.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
There has been a large number of new members with new Tiguans with defective head units. I blame the chip shortage and VW trying their best to fulfil orders. Just ride it out and hopefully the new deck solves the issue.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been a large number of new members with new Tiguans with defective head units. I blame the chip shortage and VW trying their best to fulfill orders. Just ride it out and hopefully, the new deck solves the issue.
Thanks for the confirmation. I must admit that it is a great relief to know it's a known issue!

Cheers

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,194 Posts
It's not just your view is static rather than car view? Misses T-Cross has previous media unit, if you move the map around it then stays on where you left it. There's an icon on the right that reverts it to tracking the map following the car.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked the Tiguan navigation display thoroughly and have tried every icon on the display without any change. I have seen a few videos online where there were additional icons but those do not show up on my unit. I have the 2021 Tiguan Highline. I live in Canada so I am not sure if there are different versions of the trim than in other countries.

The system info I pulled is below:

Device part number 3G5035842C
Hardware: H56
Software: 0805
Navigation database: 20.7
Media codec: 3.1.4

Thanks again for the feedback it is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
A fellow Canuck here. I was led to believe, and may be wrong, VW Nav was no longer going to be on current Tiguans. I am now driving a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport Comfortline that has no Nav. I was using Google maps off my smart phone instead, but have since started using WAZE.

This doesn't offer you a solution, just an alternative.

Good Luck!

·
Administrator
2,194 Posts
I have checked the Tiguan navigation display thoroughly and have tried every icon on the display without any change. I have seen a few videos online where there were additional icons but those do not show up on my unit. I have the 2021 Tiguan Highline. I live in Canada so I am not sure if there are different versions of the trim than in other countries.
Could well be, that's always the difficulty diagnosing internationally. Can you share a screenshot of your display showing the map, we may be able to tell if it's different to ours and need to shut up :)

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is a photo, sorry for the poor quality, of the navigation display. As noted before I can pull the car icon on the screen but as soon as you start driving it migrates off the screen. It's as if the system is map-centric instead of car-centric. That is to say, the car moves around the map rather than the car staying static on the map and the map moving. As a result, you do not see the turn indicators on the map, which is the entire point of the navigation system.

Update: too add some context. When I took this picture I was sitting in my garage and my location is approximately 1 kilometer off the screen. When I scroll the screen out it did have my correct position so it was not a case of not knowing where I was due to being inside a garage.

Map World Font Display device Gadget

·
Administrator
2,194 Posts
It looks similar to others I've seen of the MIB3, but definitely different to the MIB2 which I'm familiar with. As you move your hand towards the screen, do you get additional menu items across the bottom, or down the side and is one settings (looks like a gear wheel).

Your absolutely right about it being map centric rather than car centric, and there must be a setting somewhere, but I can't help further as I'm not familiar with this head unit.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have seen a few people post pictures of a similar issue but there is indeed an additional icon on those screens that centers the vehicle. This unit does not appear to have that icon, hence I cannot change the setting.

·
Administrator
2,194 Posts
It must be within the nav settings then.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One would think. But I have looked, the dealership has looked all to no avail. So I will wait to see what they come back with and hopefully, a swap of the nav module will resolve the issue.

·
Administrator
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was posted today in the mk2 tiguan forum, it for the same head unit as yours. MIB3 Navigation "issues" - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums
Thanks for sharing that! I can do the same thing but it continuously drops off the map requiring you to recent on an ongoing basis. It is my understanding that it should just stay centered on the vehicle without the need for continual manual intervention. I will let you know what the dealership comes back with..

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a follow-up, the dealership has had my new Tiguan for two days now and we are waiting on their call. In the meantime, the loner we have is a 2020 Tiguan and the nav system works perfectly and as expected. Additionally, it has the icons shown in other videos and the vehicle indicator stays in place without issue. It is a much nicer experience.

My gut tells me that the end result of this will be a replacement of the navigation module. I also cannot imagine the navigation manufacturer making a major change to the navigation system and then burying a setting so deep in the system that neither myself, the salesperson, the tech or the sales manager could find it over multiple days....but having worked in the IT field for 20 years... I can't say it's 100% out of the realm of possibilities either LOL. If they do come back and point to a deeply buried setting, that will be fine as well.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan Highline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealership reset the configuration I guess they mean [factory reset] the system seven (7) times and on the last reset everything started working. They have asked us to test and if this issue crops up again they are going to replace the modules. Yes, that is plural, apparently, it was not just the navigation that had to be reset but the media system as well. Interesting to say the least.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
I hope all works well for you for a very long time after all this.

Good Luck!

·
Administrator
2,194 Posts
Congratulations! I've a lifetime supporting IT also, you can just imagine the conversation "That's it, it's not working after 6 attempts. You go find the part number, I'll kick it off one more time for the hell of it. No, Wait, It's only working now!"

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
21 SEL R-Line Premium
3 Posts
Hi all! Joined this board after reading the thread, I have the EXACT same problem. Took it to the dealership yesterday and they could not figure it out. I was told the techs called VW “VTA” or Volkswagen Texhnician Assistance for a remedy and there is none. That said, they were told that VW knows of the issue and they are working on a fix. I’m confused then why it’s not more widespread, or rather I guess I’m confused why this is not a quick fix. Otherwise, love my Tiguan (“Ms. Tiggy”) but the nav implementation could be…better. Oh, it works great in the digital cockpit, but not on the screen; same as above, arrow is below the fold.

·
Administrator
2,194 Posts
Reactions: Old Dog
1 - 20 of 26 Posts