VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I am a new member with you and I would like to ask a Question regarding my new Tiguan 2012 with 4motion and 6speed Manual transmission and engine 1.4 160h

I could not find the off road button in my car that activates the off road cars systems so how I can use the car in the off-road trip specially with Manual transmission?

· MyTiguan Master
4,894 Posts
welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will come along soon and advise you re your question. Are you sure your model has the off road/downhill assist feature? Many do not you know.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

:)

· Premium Member
13,155 Posts
Hi,

I am a new member with you and I would like to ask a Question regarding my new Tiguan 2012 with 4motion and 6speed Manual transmition and engine 1.4 160h

I could not found the off road button in my car that activate the off road cars systems so how I can use the care in the off-road trip specially with Manual transmition?
Welcome to myTiguan.com akrumcs. Why not say "Hello" in this thread so other members can welcome you too? >>> http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/3700-say-hello/page-29 .

We hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers!

· Registered
266 Posts
Offroad button/function, was an option on Mk1 Tigs (about £125 ish if memory serves me right), standard on Escape models only. Unsure if it was only available on certain engine choices thought.

On Mk2 Tig Escape models only, no paid for option to upgrade.

· Registered
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition
4,174 Posts
I paid for it as an optional extra back in 2011, but as Brian says, it's only available on the Escape (or equivalent) version now.

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Hello,

I have the Mk1 with off-road button and with was an extra, as I have a Sport version.

I believe every Tiguan is prepared to have off-road button (the 4x4 versions) because they have same ECU, ABS, Cluster, Haldex, etc

I think you can do some off-road without the button, because the Haldex is quite smart and transfers the power to the back wheels in case of need. From what I read Tiguan always start with 50:50 ratio and after 30 or 20km/h it changes to 90:10. If the front wheels spin the system will send power to back wheels changing the distribution.

As the harder stuff in off-road are at low speed, you will have the 50:50, I believe it will be just fine.

Now regarding what changes when you touch the off-road button. The most visible is the accelerator, the car takes more time to respond to avoid wheels spin. So the accelerator feels like a sponge. You will have the hill descent. I discovered it recently, always seen the icon but never understand how it worked. So you put the car downhill and when the icon start flashing it means the car is braking for you, so you can take the foot out of the brake pedal and car will control it self until the end of the descent. It's really scary but it works. Also you will have always 50:50 distribution.

This it's true, get a wet roundabout and you can test this. With the off-road on the car turns better, front slips less. With off road off the front slips and then esp and haldex come to the rescue.

Sometimes when it's raining I put the off-road on, the placebo effect of having 50:50 but it's the same thing. Also I have an auto box and with off-road it keeps gears on higher revs, so I have to go to tiptronic mode and with the sponge accelerator it's not pleasant. Just for curiosity, with off-road on the auto box let me put gear earlier in tiptronic mode.

To finish, I tried the following with off-road on and off-road off, didn't found any change.

1780125_788325721241244_2329731818747632

If you really want that much the off-road, I think some Russian retrofitted, I can look for it if you need

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really thank you all for your welcoming me and I did the map Pin and the welcome post in the welcome thread as you request from me J

@n4s Really thank you for all your valuable information that help me to understand what I will miss when I don't have the Off road button

So I will not have the hell decent and the accelerator will not change and need to handle more careful in the off road

And regarding the 4 Motion itself does the change from ratio 50:50 to any other ratio are applied automatically? And is there a way to know or feel the change while I am Driving ?

Again Thank you All for your support J

· Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is relevant, I promise...

I am on a mission to retrofit the Off Road Mode Button and get as many of the features it provides. I have a Sport Model where in SA it wasn't an option to get the button but I have a friend with the Track and Field model that does have the Off road button. Mine is 2011, his is 2010. Comparing our VCDS scans I have noticed only one difference that could possibly be linked to the off road mode:

SPORT AND STYLE
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 5N0-614-109-C4.clb
Part No SW: 5N0 614 109 Q HW: 5N0 614 109 Q
Component: J104 C4 450 V220 0006
Revision: --H28--- Serial number: 00000003039661
Coding: 0031023
Shop #: WSC 01324 020 00200
VCID: 397335A470A753D693D-806C

TRACK AND FIELD

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 5N0-614-109-C4.clb
Part No SW: 5N0 614 109 M HW: 5N0 614 109 M
Component: J104 C4 450 V2F2 0003
Revision: --H28--- Serial number: 00000002491332
Coding: 0015663
Shop #: WSC 01324 020 00200
VCID: 356B39945CBFB7B6775-8060

So basically the controller is the same P/N but mine is a newer revision. And then there is the coding, which is completely different... Of course there is no help in the VCDS for coding the ABS module, just an offer to find the coding for your specific vehicle by emailing Ross-Tech.

So last night I decided I'd take a bit of a chance and change the coding and see what happened. Well, as far as I can tell, nothing is different! I took my tig for a very slow drive around the block, obviously a bit scared the brakes might be doing something funny. But nothing happened. By the end of it I was racing around, triggering ABS and traction control systems but it handled exactly as expected. So I believe this coding is working just fine.

Now the last piece of this puzzle is the off road button. I want to first trial this with a made up button, as I believe I will just need to pull a high pin on a controller to ground. Later on I will buy the proper button and fit that.

But the question is: Where does the off road button plug into??? I have searched all the forums for hours and can't find mention of it anywhere! N4S, if you could link me to the Russian forum where they retrofitted this I would be incredibly grateful. Otherwise if anyone else knows where to find out how this is wired up or knows themselves? I've seen mention of Elsawin or Erwin? I don't know if that would help me and it's a pretty expensive thing to try...

Here are some links that seem to think this retrofit is possible by the way:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/off-road-tech-when-off-road-40571-2.html
http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?4121687-Some-VCDS-(VAGCOM)-changes-for-the-Tig/page10

Thanks

Jason

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Hope this helps

https://www.drive2.ru/l/1911961/

Also you should have Elsawin to help you it electric connections.

Regarding the ABS check if your friend car has the indirect tyre monitor, might be the value that changes the coding.

Yours 31023

Bin 0111 1001 0010 1111

Your friend

Bin 0011 1101 0010 1111

I would say you deactivated one function and activated another.

rom the Russian page it says normally you need to add 1024, exactly the bit you activated.

Keep us updated.

· Registered
136 Posts
Great, thanks so much n4s!

Doesn't seem to difficult after looking at the Russian guide. I will have a look for that tamper proof bolt on the ECU this afternoon and then get a test switch and some wire connectors to try it out.

I agree, it does seem I've activated one thing and deactivated another, will change the coding and test it again this afternoon. It didn't give any faults when I scanned though and the tire pressure monitor seemed to be working, but I will still double check that. Really useful to convert the decimal numbers back to binary, didn't think of that, thank you!

I'll definitely keep everyone updated and hopefully be able to write my own guide on this a bit later!

Reactions: angryhaggis

· Registered
2,421 Posts
PS to add to Shawng's comments their are a few variations on ECU too I wouldn't want to connect wires and hope that that is the correct pin out, unless the ECU's are the same make and model

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.