VW Tiguan Forum banner

My black tiguan 2.0 tdi auto sport

9K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  giggles 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

Ive just joined the forum and have had my black tiguan for 1 week.

I changed from a new 5 series bmw and couldnt be happier.

I havent seen any on the road and the car seems to draw quite a bit of attention.

Most of my friends have seen the car and ALL are impressed many didnt know what car it was and thought it was a tourag.

The black stands out with the chrome detailing on the outside and the rear smoked windows look great.

The park assist is a strange concept and the only time we use it is to show our friends that the car can park itself its a great talking point.

Also the panoramic roof is a must ,lets loads of light in and is great when the sun comes out . Only problem is that the electric blind has a fault and droops when it is used I think its a problem with the runner,will know more when its been looked at.

The stereo is fantastic the sound quality is I think equivelent to bose which I had on an audi A3,good mid range well impressed.

On a recent drive the onboard computer read 42 mpg this I thought was excellent.

See less See more
#3 ·
FirstVW said:
Which stereo model you have? The RCD310 or the RCD510?
How is the bass? I listened to the RCD310 and it sounds real bad. Wonder if upgrading to the RCD510 would improve the sound quality.
Tks.
For what its worth (I'm no stereo "buff") we've got the RCD510 in our Tig and I'm VERY pleased with the sound, in fact it's noticeably better than any previous in-car audio I've ever had over the years. Fiddled with the fader on Sunday and you could swear that the guitarist moved into the back seat then ended up sitting on the front centre armrest when I had it just as I liked it. I know that some people spend huge sums on stereos and that's not me, so I'm no expert but I do know what I like and I like the RCD510. As an aside the SD card player on it is fantastic, I've got about 400 tracks on a card and you can go folder to folder, track to track etc, brilliant, doubt I'll ever bother to put a CD in it !!!

Cheers

#4 ·
Hi

I have the RCD510 and am really impressed with it, it has a good mid range facility and the bass and treble gives a quality sound. I like my music quite loud and only need to put the volume up to half because its pretty powerful.

I haven't tried the SD facility yet, not sure which SD card to get but look forward to using it at some point.

Cheers Louis

#7 ·
Kaine said:
Louis

I'd get a cheap one personally - 2Gb is the max the system will handle (I believe - someone may correct me on this)

Kaine
Quite correct, I "built" myself an SD card holder out of a "cigarette case" I bought off "Trademe" (local version of eBay), I'll put a thread to show it in the "Mods" section. The 2GIG cards hold something like 350 songs each so there's a lot of music in a small space and the sound quality is fantastic. Doubt I'll ever put a CD into the stereo !!!!! except maybe a new one I haven't loaded onto my computer yet !!

Cheers

#8 ·
Kaine said:
2Gb is the max the system will handle
Glad I read this. Was just about to order an 8GB card!! Had done a test with a 1GB card and was pretty amazed - good that you can see the track title (and artist and album title).

Keith

#11 ·
InTheQueue said:
Out of interest, does it support any type of lossless audio, e.g. WMA audio, or ideally FLAC?

Maybe I'm too much of an audio purist. MP3 at below 256 kbps just isn't up to the job IMHO, hence my refusal to buy music from an online store.
In theQueue, I feel the same way about my music as well, I have always kept my files in WMA, it seems as if even at 256 kbps MP3 still don't sound as good as WMA's even at 128 kbps.

I have been comparing my WMA's at 128 kbps, and ripped some of the same music using MP3 at 320 kbps, and I could hardly tell any difference, yes there is a slightly better separation of sounds, and the vocals seem slightly clearer, but nothing really to justify it.

My living room Digital Audio Player ony supports MP3 up to 320, and WMA's up to 320, but no lossless WMA.
It does support WAV files, so I guess I could re-rip my collection to WAV (space is not a problem), but think I will experiment to see if it is worthwhile to re-rip my entire collection or not, but since WAV is lossless It "should" be a vast difference.

What do you think?

#12 ·
Had a quick look in the manual. In conjunction with the Media In Multi Media socket - The stereo can play and control MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis and AAC from an external data medium. It should also fully support an iPOD with the correct cable.

Des

#13 ·
Hello

one question, is the SD card reader standard on all models or only if you get the satellite navigation?

Thanks

#17 ·
Strange because here in UK they mention the SD card reader only in the extras where it mentions dvd navigation. When you look at the RCD510 on SE range it does not mention SD card reader.

Anyway, if it has it then another plus for the tig!

#18 ·
gdaoutis said:
Strange because here in UK they mention the SD card reader only in the extras where it mentions dvd navigation. When you look at the RCD510 on SE range it does not mention SD card reader.

Anyway, if it has it then another plus for the tig!
It surely does have it, I've got one and it's right there

Cheers

#19 ·
i dont remember seeing a catalogue available for download on the UK Tiugan site, however everyone can download it off of the DE site, its e .pdf file. Inside, there are pictures of most of the equipment available for the Tiguan. The difference is that pictures are for LHD vehicles and the equipment levels are Sport&Style ( guessing SE ) and Track&Field (Escape).

You can clearly see the SD Slot in the RCD510 picture...

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/ ... 4.File.pdf

#20 ·
giggles said:
i dont remember seeing a catalogue available for download on the UK Tiugan site, however everyone can download it off of the DE site, its e .pdf file. Inside, there are pictures of most of the equipment available for the Tiguan. The difference is that pictures are for LHD vehicles and the equipment levels are Sport&Style ( guessing SE ) and Track&Field (Escape).

You can clearly see the SD Slot in the RCD510 picture...

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms_publish/ ... 4.File.pdf
For crying out loud
do I have to take a bloody picture of it to PROVE it's on the RCD510
Take my word for it, both the RCD510 and the RNS510 (hard drive / sat nav etc) have the SD card reader OK

Cheers (I think)

#21 ·
I have an SE in the UK with RDC510 and it DOES have the SD card reader.

VW website is really under-selling the RCD510/options. I don't think the literature is clear at all. On the day I picked mine up I rang the dealer to say there was no CD changer. The photos showed it in the centre console under the armrest. He called back and said that literature states that you CAN have a CD changer but its optional. Turned out he didn't know what we was talking about (like the autohold, bootliner, cargo nets and storage pack) and the CD changer is inside the RCD510 itself.

The brouchure also does not state that the leather seats are heated, driver elec adjustable or no drawer under driver seat.

EES3DC

#22 ·
ees3dc said:
I have an SE in the UK with RDC510 and it DOES have the SD card reader.

VW website is really under-selling the RCD510/options. I don't think the literature is clear at all. On the day I picked mine up I rang the dealer to say there was no CD changer. The photos showed it in the centre console under the armrest. He called back and said that literature states that you CAN have a CD changer but its optional. Turned out he didn't know what we was talking about (like the autohold, bootliner, cargo nets and storage pack) and the CD changer is inside the RCD510 itself.

The brouchure also does not state that the leather seats are heated, driver elec adjustable or no drawer under driver seat.

EES3DC
Same in NZ, my guys didn't have a clue about the Tig's features, I've told them more about it than VW did, never mind it's been huge fun finding things out !!!!! At least they believe me when I tell them stuff

Cheers

#23 ·
One little interesting thing about the BMWs I used to drive they both had "learning" Transmission, and I believe it is the same type in the Tig. Where the Transmission "learns" your style of driving, and adjusts accordingly.

As soon as you put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the Accessories position (position right before ignition), count 10 seconds, and on the 10th second turn it to the off position, do not remove key, count to 10 again, and on the 10th second, start the engine.

The above resets the "learning" transmission so it can start a fresh. I did notice that things would lagg a bit in the BM's, and when I performed the reset, things were a bit "peppier" again. My BMW agents here didn't even know how to do this, but it is well documented from BMW, and on other sites.

Cheers.

#24 ·
ees3dc said:

EES3DC
Im really sorry but you are incorrect. It is clearly stated that if you order the Vienna leather package you will get among other stuff, heated seats, sotarage compartment under PASSENGER seat and electric DRIVER's seat.

All the information you need is in the pricelist....

Also I just saw that starting 06/ 2008 one can order the "Media In" thing someone was asking about...

I agree about the RCD510 though... However the dealer here was competent enough to know that the changer is built into the unit...

#25 ·
giggles said:
ees3dc said:
Im really sorry but you are incorrect. It is clearly stated that if you order the Vienna leather package you will get among other stuff, heated seats, sotarage compartment under PASSENGER seat and electric DRIVER's seat.
I'm sorry toooooooooooo but NOT in the NZ brochure it doesn't, I've got it right in front of me and NONE of the items first mentioned in this thread are on it. Perhaps the brochure you're looking at is a lot later, after all I've had my Tig for nearly a month now so my brochure was dated about 3 months ago !!!

Cheers

#26 ·
Rocc said:
One little interesting thing about the BMWs I used to drive they both had "learning" Transmission, and I believe it is the same type in the Tig. Where the Transmission "learns" your style of driving, and adjusts accordingly.

As soon as you put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the Accessories position (position right before ignition), count 10 seconds, and on the 10th second turn it to the off position, do not remove key, count to 10 again, and on the 10th second, start the engine.

The above resets the "learning" transmission so it can start a fresh. I did notice that things would lagg a bit in the BM's, and when I performed the reset, things were a bit "peppier" again. My BMW agents here didn't even know how to do this, but it is well documented from BMW, and on other sites.

Cheers.
As I understand the Tig does have a learning auto as well but I've never heard of the ability to "reset" one. My Kia also had a "learning auto" but it only took a few minutes to alter its settings so I never gave a "reset" option a thought. It would be great if there was such a system ????

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.