VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'd like to share with you what have been happening since last month with our Tiguan. To begin, I would like to apology for my non technical vocabulary, I'll try to do my best explaining what I've seen and what I have been told in the VW Workshop. Regarding the Tiguan, it is quite an unicorn (at least down here), 2.0TSI 135kW 4Motion six speed manual, dark brown sitting on 18" Audi Peelers. Until the breakdown we were fully convinced about the manual box choice, but since they're such an small amount of manual Tiguan, the dealer simply didn't know how to proceed with the gearbox issue.

It all began with a metal noise, almost undetectable, when you were in a gear, going downhill and turning to the left. At the beginning we tough it was a metallic part of the suspension hitting against the chassis, but then the gearbox operation got sort of noisy and unpredictable. The 4Motion system was visually checked in the dealer and they said it was all set to keep going. The noise kept coming occasionally and on that point I decided to check by myself the gearbox and the all wheel drive sys (end of the first week of July). The car was mounted on an elevator and then I proceeded to simulate operation using all the gears, noticing unusual up and down, left and right movement on the shaft connecting the gearbox and the rear differential when 1st and 2nd gear were selected on low rpm. This unusual movement was in fact so destructive, small and medium sized bits of aluminium from the gears and bushings were found in the box oil.

On July the 13th, I left the Tiguan on the dealer (VW Automotora) and made them aware of the problem, showing the bits removed from the oil and the movement on the aforementioned shaft. They began removing that Monday almost every bit of the 4Motion system, but VW AG forbid the disassembly until the movement was measured and qualified as out of tolerance.

I asked today about the car and they're in the exact same spot, they were waiting for the equipment to measure the "hole" -sorry, cannot remember the exact word in english used to refer to this- and it arrived last Wednesday the 22nd (unicorn unicorn unicorn :mad2: :mad2: ). Depending on those measurements they will procede to bolt everything up, completely remove the AWD system and probably replace it (around 22k USD) or make minor adjustments on the box. At least another month without the car, although they offered me a Polo as a loaner for a couple days (yay!?).

At this point I don't know how to feel or proceed. The car is just 15.000Mi (24.000km) and 95% of its life has been over paved roads. The warranty on the Tig was 2 years/30.000Mi (50.000km), but the car turned two years old last March. If I had to assume the cost of the repair, it would be greater than the comercial value of the car itself, but 23.000USD shorter than the cheapest brand new Tiguan. I'll just hope VW Germany will cover all the procedure...

Thanks for reading all this stuff ;-) , I'll keep posting.

Greetings from Colombia,

Juan

· Premium Member
13,155 Posts
Sorry to hear your Tig problems Juan. I hope all works out well for you. Yes, please let us know how things go.

Best of luck to you and your Tig.

Old Dog

Reactions: JuanD2394

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On today's afternoon they finally gave me a mild update about the car. The movement was measured yesterday's morning, and obviously it was way out of the tolerance given by VW AG (almost ten times). All the central and rear section of the 4Motion, including the gearbox were dismounted, opened and taken apart that afternoon.

They're now waiting -again- for orders directly from Germany. I'm just hoping they start on Monday ordering required tools and parts, as they may need up to a month just to arrive from Europe... What a headache....

Greetings again,

Juan

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today they gave me apparently good news. The box was taken apart but everything looked just right, so they checked the dual mass flywheel, clutch, press and bushings. The flywheel was in fact so damaged that the inner part felt moving completely apart from the outer one. They got the aforementioned spare parts from another Tiguan awaiting full powertrain replacement and tested mine with the pieces, noticing noise reduction around 60 to 70% (almost undetectable now). They also found significative damage in one engine mount and replaced it.

Another manual Tiguan from Bogotá will be arriving tomorrow, they are going to compare how both cars work, and depending on that I hopefully will have my car back by tomorrow afternoon.

PS: I'm attaching a couple of pics of the procedure:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle White Hood

Attachments

Reactions: n4s
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.