VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new tiguan 1.4tsi bluemotion auto transmission gives 5km/l with A/C on. I do mostly city drive. Is it normal in this tiguan or I have do inspect something? Plz comment. Thanx

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
Are you sure it's not 5l/100km ?? that would be nearer (though admittedly probably TOO good) to expectations. Unfortunately it's totally dependent on driving style, road, traffic and weather conditions etc etc etc. Your suggesting 20 litres/100km would NEVER be seen in my TDi even if I was driving up a cliff and towing the Titanic !!! My norm is around 1/3 of that or 7l/100km and even hard driving on difficult roads and in bad conditions would never get above say 9l/100km. So, either something's wrong with your figures, or something's wrong with your Tiguan or somebody is driving it very badly ?? We'd need a LOT more detail to have any idea which may be the case !!

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its hot summer here, and the mileage with A/C on is ONLY 5km/L. During winter mileage was pretty good 10-12 Km/L (A/C off). I am not towing anything, rather doing city drive only. Just had first oil change at 10K.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Its hot summer here, and the mileage with A/C on is ONLY 5km/L. During winter mileage was pretty good 10-12 Km/L (A/C off). I am not towing anything, rather doing city drive only. Just had first oil change at 10K.
OK, for those of us that use litres per 100kms the above would work out to be 10L/100 - 8.3L/100. The hot summer mileage of 5km/L works out to be a whopping 20L/100kms :shock: . This is waaaaaay too much. There must be other factors that come into play. Could Kathmandu's elevation of 1,400m (4,600ft) be one of those factors?

Here is a link to the conversion used for my numbers >>> https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-kmperl-to-lper100km.html .

Cheers!

Old Dog

·
Registered
46 Posts
Using that unit juggler (thanks for the link Old Dog) the summer consumption is 14 mpg. This does not seem right to me. As you say perhaps the elevation is having a marked effect on performance.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, a 1.4 litre engine that has to be supercharged AND turboed tp move something the size of a Tiguan will ONLY ever give good fuel figures if driven VERY carefully, as soon as you try and pull the necessary horses out of that little unit it will drink gas, the same as twin turboed Subarus, they'd pull like a big V8 but use fuel at twice that of the V8. It's designed to be a gently used city dwelling shopping cart and if you use it outside of those parameters be prepared to pay the bill in gas AND maintenance !!

All that said I suspect this tiguan is being pushed to perform like a 2 litre and that's the price you pay. You would really have to be driven in it on location to get any idea beyond that.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again, a 1.4 litre engine that has to be supercharged AND turboed tp move something the size of a Tiguan will ONLY ever give good fuel figures if driven VERY carefully, as soon as you try and pull the necessary horses out of that little unit it will drink gas.
I agree.

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
or down hill...

Back in the mid 70's my dad had a Monte Carlo with a V8, can't recall the exact size. A co-worker had the very same car, but with the smaller V6. She had worse mileage than he did because of the under powered engine. I have seen this situation time and again and would never choose the smallest engine available.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hello Everest

I do hope that things aren't too bad for you, family & friends following the earthquake on 25th of April. The media here in the UK has largely 'forgotten' about the earthquake, but I'm sure the ongoing problems are enormous, including illnesses related to poor sanitation, drinking water, and generally terrible conditions, particularly in the outlying areas.

I was due to arrive in Kathmandu on 30th of April for trekking in the Upper Mustang region. It was a great disappointment not to be able to go, but of course I was extremely lucky not to be there when the earthquake happened.

I've been to Nepal 3 times before this aborted visit, and love your country and the people. On the subject of your poor fuel consumption, I am aware that driving in and around Kathmandu in what has recently been very hot weather in which your A/C will have been working overtime, combined with often stop / go driving conditions, is going to make it hard for a 1.4 petrol engine in a biggish vehicle to return reasonable consumption. How good is the quality of the petrol in Kathmandu? I'm wondering if this might be a factor as well.

I shall be aiming to visit Nepal again as soon as it is practically possible, and will be keeping an eye out for your Tiguan, which may possibly be one of only a few in Nepal?

All the best. J.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello JeremyB

Glad to know that you have visited my country. Aftershocks are still ongoing. Things are not normal till now. Many people still afraid of entering their houses.

Yes here we have only a few Tiguans on the road may be because of the price. Tiguan 1.4TSI costs nearly 70K USD (240% vehicle tax). I agree you that several factors are responsible for low mileage...low quality petrol, pathetic road. Average speed is 15-20km in city, 40km in highway..so I should not be expecting good mileage here.

Thanks for your comment, hope you will visit Nepal very soon.

Regards!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.