VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, sorry lots of question here… if anyone has a moment and could help answer any of the following I'd really appreciate it!

So, I recently purchased an AWD Tiguan SE (bought it with my head rather than my heart due to the $$$ deal, AWD was more crucial to me and my wallet wasn't big enough for both). Anyway, I love bells and whistles and wondered what I can do to it, does anyone out there have experience of the SE? Here's what I intend to do over the next few months. From research I think all of the following can be done with little or no impact to coding issues but if I'm wrong on that point please let me know!:

• She did come with aftermarket seat heaters but one of those is not working so I plan on moving them to the rear and retrofitting OEM seat heaters, It's mighty cold in NW Wisconsin at this time of year so this must be my first project, questions are:

o If I buy a used climate control switch with the heated seat buttons and a loom is it just a case of plug and go? I note on eBay that there's some kind of seat control module, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251752711768?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) does anyone know where that goes in the scheme of things?

o Can I plug in some generic heater pads to the loom or do I have to get OEM pads, if OEM does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can purchase them?

o Does anyone know of a schematic anywhere that shows the whole system?

o Any general comments?

• There is no sort of MFD in this version of the car but I assume there's still a can-bus present, questions:

o Is my assumption correct?

o If I buy some vag-com cables etc. can I do anything fun with the simple display screen or would I be wasting my time and money?

• In dash GPS, I do intend to install an in dash (Birthday coming up!), questions:

o If I don't have a can-bus do I need one to run a gps?

o any suggestions for the best way forwards?

o Do I buy a $2-300.00 one off of eBay or spend some more money on a quality one?

o As I've not got an MFD could an OEM unit display any data available through it?

• I have purchased a Euro-spec light switch off of eBay with the auto light feature which seems pretty straight forward to install and I intend to fit fog lights using the switch also, questions:

o Will the blanked out fog light apertures on my bumper work or would I have to purchase replacement grills? Can I just purchase a retrofit loom from somewhere or is a complete kit like this the way to go?

o http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Tiguan_1-4_Motion-2.0T/Lighting/Fog_Lights/ES2092642/

I'm definitely on a budget so any tips or tricks that won't end up making the car look like a "bodge job" would be very much appreciated. I am continuing to research all of this on line but any help in reducing that search time is welcomed J

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
I hate to say this but you would have been much better off saving your pennies and buying a Tig with most of what you want already fitted. The list above is going to cost you a lot more than doing it that way and much of it may be difficult if not impossible at this stage. I'll leave it the experts on here to run through the individual items but you really are in for a pretty long and expensive haul imho.

Good luck though and I do hope you can find workarounds for most if not all of your wish list.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As Derek said, you are in for a whole lot fo spending. Not going into specifics, but to get you in the right direction, all newer (06 and up) have CAN. It is how the controllers and computers communicate. Purchasing a VCDS cable is well worth the money, but will not magically make an MFD appear on a car without one. Next, I think you need to take a deep breath and do some reading here and on other VW forums to educate yourself. Then come back and ask specific questions. A lot of what you ask has already been documented on the web and is easily found with a Google search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's all good, i love tinkering and i am spending lots of time researching :) keep the comments coming... half way to retrofitting OEM seat heaters currently! ;-)

·
myTiguan Master
4,762 Posts
it's all good, i love tinkering and i am spending lots of time researching :smile: keep the comments coming... half way to retrofitting OEM seat heaters currently! ;-)
I would like to see the "how to" on that as I would like to fit some to my Passat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.