VW Tiguan Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I FINALLY got this fixed on my 09 Tiguan. I thought it was the spout leaking at the joint between the sunroof drain and the tube, so I re-glued that a couple of years ago with marine adhesive. In a recent storm we saw it still leaking :mad: .

I finally decided to figure it out once and for all. I bought a long bendy pipe cleaner on Amazon. Threaded it into the tube, and...got it stuck. FML. After really yanking on it, I got it and a little dirt out of the tube. But went to blow into the tube to clear out the dust, and...nothing. I couldn't blow through it. I had never thought to check to see if it was actually a BLOCKAGE causing the leak and not a little hole or misalignment. The gears started turning and I realized I could still be experiencing leaks in the sunroof as the tube fills up with water, then the roof rack channels fill up with water, and the water spills OVER the top of the roof rack assembly into the car ceiling. UGH.

So I have a blocked tube, and it's already watertight since I fixed it. Onto the work I wish I had thought to do years ago.

I followed the drain line down the A pillar, behind the dash, and pulled out the dash panel to reveal the end of the drain. Follow along in pictures.
View attachment 25876

View attachment 25880

You can see the tube goes into a "collector" or drain end that directs it through the firewall (and eventually behind the wheel well liner).

I yanked out the collector and saw this:

View attachment 25882

It felt heavy, and I found out that was because it was full of what I can only describe as a clod of dirt.

That's likely due to the fact that the drain end has a tiny little "x" shaped opening that allows it to get COMPLETELY clogged. Seriously?!

View attachment 25884

View attachment 25886

I emptied it out and then cut the end of the collector off to allow larger particles to get through (Why VW decided that only water should be able to exit the drain pipe is absolutely beyond me, but I would imagine that a large portion of the people experiencing leak problems with their sunroofs are actually seeing this issue). I put it back into the hole, threaded the line into it, and made sure there were no kinks.

View attachment 25888

View attachment 25890

I did the same thing on the driver's side. I poured a couple of gallons of water through the system with the roof open (carefully to avoid it going in the drivers seat) and closed. Works like a charm. The nice thing is if this is happening on your car, taking out that trim panel is a LOT easier than getting to the roof drain behind the ceiling panel - maybe even a better starting point. Shame it took 4 years to figure it out. And shame VW decided that this was a sane design decision :(. I'm thinking about moving to the Pacific NW just to get some more mileage out of this fix.
Thank you sooooo much. I tore apart the roof liner already and found no cracks or issues with the seal so I was really flustered. Found this comment and that’s exactly what it was! I still have to put it back together but I’m hopeful that this fixes my issue. The leaking seems to have possibly damaged some other things internally so I’m on to figure that part out next. 😓

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thank You @Leeski. Your pictures helped me find out the source of leak in my Tiguan. The drain valve was missing which caused water to flow into rear passenger foot well.
I also found that my 2012 Tiguan was missing one of the small valves at the bottom of the rear line causing water to be dumped into the rear spare tire chamber and into the rear passenger footwells. I was able to buy this part at the dealer and installed it. While I could get at the right rear hose easily, the left side hose was very difficult to get at.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts