VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
On my commute this morning I've notice that there was a knocking noise coming from the front of the car. At first it was intermittent but now it's constant and increases frequency and volume with the revs. The engine was cold as it was only a short journey but this hasn't happened before so I'm understandably quite worried since it seems engine related.

This is on a 2.0TDi and it was serviced in December 2012.

There are no warning lights on the MFD and no visible smoke from the exhaust (which I assume I wouldn't see anyway due to the DPF)

In terms of the noise itself, this is how it sounds now.......

I have now booked in with VW on Thursday and will not drive it in the meantime for fear of causing any further damage.

Reactions: ensulgelahnab

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You need to post a vid of your car mate so we can hear it you can get sticky hydraulic lifters, If you haven't driven the vehicle in a little while the oil flows to the sump even though some oil is left in the hydraulic lifters they can sound a lot louder than when they have good oil flow, Note oil temp could have something to do with the noise as well as the oil will be thick in the cold weather until it is warm enough to penetrate the lifters.

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will post up a video from my car later today. Once up to temperature thought the noise is still there. Also regarding oil temperature I've noticed before that even though the needle stays in the middle (on 90 deg) that the MFD was reading around 104 deg. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Will post up a video from my car later today. Once up to temperature thought the noise is still there. Also regarding oil temperature I've noticed before that even though the needle stays in the middle (on 90 deg) that the MFD was reading around 104 deg. Is that normal?
Yep oil temp should go over water temp this is normal

·
Registered
313 Posts
whilst I don't hear mine much with the bonnet open, and although mines got a bit louder with age - that doesn't sound too healthy! - hope its nothing serious (or your still in warranty)
best wishes
Jon

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Video added above.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Defo not anything to do with oil temp from the vid noise, sounds like lifters to me. Wheres Shawn!?
He may have encountered it before.

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have PM'ed Shawn but more likely he's busy at work.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

·
Administrator
5,986 Posts
at 6:25 my time, i was getting out of the shower. I am at the shop now and let the boys listen to it. They say it sounds like a valve-train issue. My oldest David has ears like a hawk. He can hear sounds in a car my dog has problems hearing.

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
at 6:25 my time, i was getting out of the shower. I am at the shop now and let the boys listen to it. They say it sounds like a valve-train issue. My oldest David has ears like a hawk. He can hear sounds in a car my dog has problems hearing.
Thanks Shawn, I forgot about the time delay. I've not read about valve-train issues, my initial thoughts were around hydraulic lifters or possible injectors so how serious would the above be?

·
Administrator
5,986 Posts
Valve train includes the lifters, the cams, etc. It's not good. Biggest problem, worst case is something getting out of time and slapping into a piston, just like what happens when a timing belt breaks. Best case is something is sticking, but that is not great either.

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
On my commute this morning I've notice that there was a knocking noise coming from the front of the car. At first it was intermittent but now it's constant and increases frequency and volume with the revs. The engine was cold as it was only a short journey but this hasn't happened before so I'm understandably quite worried since it seems engine related.

This is on a 2.0TDi and it was serviced in December 2012.

There are no warning lights on the MFD and no visible smoke from the exhaust (which I assume I wouldn't see anyway due to the DPF)

In terms of the noise itself, this is how it sounds now.......

I have now booked in with VW on Thursday and will not drive it in the meantime for fear of causing any further damage.
hope the diagnosis goes OK and your Tig will soon be as good as ever..and at no cost to you either.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This sounds like it might be diesel injector 'chuffing' - you get this kind of noise when one of the injectors starts to leak - I had it once before on a Merc 220 CDI I once owned, it sounded like a metallic knocking.

Have a listen to this...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UgZ-B0Ccafg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUgZ-B0Ccafg

·
Registered
156 Posts
The more I listen to the noise Naresh the more I'm convinced it's one of the injectors leaking, if so it may be just a case of reseating the injector and a new copper sealing washer fitting - removing the plastic top engine cover so that you could see the injectors would confirm if it was leaking.

However a word of warning!!! - modern diesel injection systems run at ridiculously high pressures, literally in the thousands of PSI - so keep your fingers well away from any leaks and ideally let the mechanics diagnose it.

Reactions: forkbender

·
Registered
313 Posts

for comparative purposes here's mine, now done 60000 miles. Interestingly it looks like the design has changed slightly, as the oil filler point is on the right. Mine was built July 2008 (170 bhp version)

Jon

Reactions: forkbender

·
myTiguan Pro
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just as an update guys, VW kept my car all day yesterday and told me last night they are going to be "stripping the engine"
today in an attempt to find the cause of this noise. I'm guessing that any possible related parts i.e. hyrdraulic lifters or injectors can only be accessed taking the engine apart? I'm no expert in this particular field but I do hope the technicians don't mess anything else up resulting in loss of reliability in the long run!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Should be able to do it with the cam belt off, engine cam cover off not the plastic engine cover, i suspect they want to take a look at the valves and or pistons to make sure they are not damaged no point doing something twice because you didn't find the root problem the first time. Your parts list is building up cam cover gasket,head gasket and possible head bolts as some are one use as they stretch. Shouldn't be any issues really as they have not gone into the bowels of the beast. But as long as everything is done per manufactures guides you shouldn't have a problem. Hope all goes well

·
MyTiguan Master
4,980 Posts
Just as an update guys, VW kept my car all day yesterday and told me last night they are going to be "stripping the engine"
today in an attempt to find the cause of this noise. I'm guessing that any possible related parts i.e. hyrdraulic lifters or injectors can only be accessed taking the engine apart? I'm no expert in this particular field but I do hope the technicians don't mess anything else up resulting in loss of reliability in the long run!
keep us posted mate.......fingers crossed

1 - 20 of 55 Posts