VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 VW Tiguan with Dynaudio.

After emailing various manufacturers and doing some research I settled on a Joying unit ( JY-VQ131N4GN) as it was apparently compatible.

However I have an annoying problem, when I turn the ignition off, the radio goes silent after a few seconds, the screen still works, just no sound.

If I start the engine/turn the ignition on the sound still does not come back, the only way to get the sound back is to completely remove the key and then the radio screen goes off, then when I put the key back in and turn the ignition on I have sound again.

If I turn the engine off, and then turn the ignition straight back on, then the sound stays on, and I can start the engine and still have sound.

The old VW RNS510 worked as expected, in fact you could even turn the radio on without the key in by pushing the power button.

I've sent Joying numerous videos, I've carried out the same wiring modification as instructed numerous times, sent videos of this, but it still does not work as it should, if the radio screen is on then we should have sound. Just seem to be going round in circles with Joying!

As I understand it the amplifier is controlled by the canbus, so it must be something to do with Joying's canbus control.

Anybody any idea's please?

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Did you use a Canbus Integration kit when you install? It need to be the proper one for your year as if you were sent one for the later Tiguans it may not work as expected.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, when I ordered it I ticked the box for Dynaudio, not sure if the the year was asked anywhere dont think it was, although I did mention in my original enquiry emails, and the webpage says 2008+

This is what I have, sorry it's not a very good picture, but its just cut from a bigger photo.

• Simple Son
  • VW-SS-07
  • SW:V3.88.28BYPS
  • DC:20210625
  • P/N K0154

Plant Purple Violet Line Material property

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
This is one of the hazards sadly of trying to make some of these decks actually work properly. All I can say is verify the wiring from the main harness on the factory loom. Should be two small orange wires. One is Orange with a violet and the other orange with a yellow stripe. These two are your can hi and can low wires. Verify there are solidly connected. We have had a few new members pop in with these same decks and have issues it's nothing new sadly. And this was also the reason why I opted for an RNS510 to upgrade my RDC unit. I wanted plug and play OEM.

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'd first seen the Android head units five or so years ago, but due to issues with Dynaudio I had avoided them, I had hoped that they had now matured, but sadly not the case.

There's been issues with it deleteing my Google contacts, you have to turn off contact sync to 'fix' that! The fader works back to front, when you open the front doors of the car the opposite side shows as open on the screen, yet the back doors show the correct way arround. The phone dialer is very poor, no speed dial, and of course you can't simply replace it. FM radio reception is worse.

Even given the problems mentioned above I would not go back to an RNS510, that was very slow to start up, the maps were very out of date and I just couldn't be bothered to search for updates any more, and IIRC last time I updated it wasn't possible to use the newer ones.

I'm not sure that its a poor canbus connection, the steering wheel buttons always work, and the way the amp works is very predictable, if it was a poor connection I would of though all canbus related things on the radio would be a bit random in their workings.

Joying have now said they've no idea how to fix it, so for now I'll just live it.

Could it be related to any programming via VCDS etc?

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
The canbus module should fool the system thinking it's got an OEM deck in it. You could play with a few settings I'm the radio and change it's settings via VCDS but I've never played with that brand of head unit before to know what it would like.

The only thing I could think of is since you are a 09 you might need to change your canbus module to a layer one with the power issue update.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I could think of is since you are a 09 you might need to change your canbus module to a layer one with the power issue update.
Could you expand on this bit please? What's the power issue update?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts