VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I bought a 2013 Tiguan recently with 150k kilometers on it and it clearly wasn't well maintained, and so I'm currently dealing with issue after issue. I was hoping you guys could provide some advice.

1. I did an oil change as soon a got it, but after a couple of months I checked the oil and the level seems to be at the minimum. I went to top it up and it took about a half liter. Is that normal?

2. Whenever I go out for a drive, even a short one, there's a very loud fan by the engine. After turning off the car, the fan stays on for several minutes. I've not noticed another car that does this. Is that normal??

3. The fuel consumption on the onboard computer is giving me an average of about 14.5 l/100 km... which seems pretty bad, even if 90% of my driving is city. Obviously I'm using premium fuel only, and I've recently changed my air intake and cabin filters. Can someone tell me if this is normal?

4. Is there any way to update the software version on the radio/nav?

Other than that, I'm loving the car as it feels like a premium vehicle, and drives really well.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
Very difficult to advise given there's no clue on the engine in your car! If it were a diesel, the fan might indicate it doing a particulate filter regen.

Again, without know which head unit is in your car not sure anyone can help with the software update. There was a question in the last couple of months on head unit software, have a search and see if the head unit matches yours.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,423 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of the knowledgeable old timers walked when this site changed hosting. That consumption is awful, I don't get that low towing a caravan! Could be any number of issues, there's a lot in here around decarbonising the engine. This may be relevant to you.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black Black/Black
56 Posts
Here are some thoughts from a new Tiguan 2022 ower, but many years of owning various cars.

1. You say driving for a couple of months, what is needed having many miles, was it driven for better input?

2. Many cars today use an electric fan vs. a fan belt off the engine. A sensor detects the engine heat and runs the fan to cool the engine. When shutting off an engine, it will still be hot, and the fan will continue to run to cool down the hot engine.

3. I find the onboard MPG can be wrong at times. Try filling the tank and writing down the miles. After some driving, refill the tank and evaluate the mileage manually. See how that compares. Short trips will have low MPG. I think 2013 does not require premium fuel. You might want to try a bottle of Chevron Techron to do some inside engine cleanup that can help milage,

4. 2013, any updates most likely require the dealer to do them for the nav unless the nav runs off a cd or other removable storage like an SD card.

All the above is only my thinking, as I have no user knowledge of the 2013 car.

·
Registered
2018 VW Tiguan SEL DSG
56 Posts
Evening

I have had a 2009 & 2015 so I will try and relate what I can

1. I did an oil change as soon a got it, but after a couple of months I checked the oil and the level seems to be at the minimum. I went to top it up and it took about a half liter. Is that normal?

Both Of mine used about that every 3 months. They were both diesels but I have had this with other cars too so not exactly a lot of oil usage really.

2. Whenever I go out for a drive, even a short one, there's a very loud fan by the engine. After turning off the car, the fan stays on for several minutes. I've not noticed another car that does this. Is that normal??

I had this when my AC was playing up. Maybe worth getting that checked. If I remember the one on the left of the radiator is the AC related fan. See which is running when you turn off.

3. The fuel consumption on the onboard computer is giving me an average of about 14.5 l/100 km... which seems pretty bad, even if 90% of my driving is city. Obviously I'm using premium fuel only, and I've recently changed my air intake and cabin filters. Can someone tell me if this is normal?

Having never owned a petrol Tiguan I can't really say. Average for my diesels was 45-50mpg with a mix of town/motorway driving

4. Is there any way to update the software version on the radio/nav?

Knowing which headunit would help. At a guess it'll be RNS510 but without confirmation I can't really say.

Hope this helps a little

1 - 7 of 7 Posts