VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying all sorts of different ways to resolve my problem for about the last eight hours and have now had enough!

I updated my Discover Media (Gen 2) maps last night and wish I had never started. To cut a long story short, I keep getting this message, "Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data".

I am using an original VW 15GB SD card and using map 5NA.919.866.CH 1910 EU1 2023 . I am using the VW DiscoverCare downloader on my Windows PC and get a message that I have successfully updated my card.

When I insert it into my car, it all appears to work fine, the map is shown on the screen at the correct location, until I try to select a route. I can search for and select a destination, the voice then asks me to choose a route which is now being calculated, then BANG - "Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data". I have tried rebooting, by holding the power switch, makes no difference.

I am now at my wits end and would appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Could I possibly need a firmware update, which incidentally, I have been unable to find?

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,370 Posts
Sounds like the update may not have completed, or it may have left sone incompatible files.

Forget discovercare, go straight to the VW map website, ( Volkswagen Map Updates )download the appropriate map zip file. Unzip it to a folder on your computer.

Delete everything off the SD card (you can't mess up the card, the bit VW scans to confirm it's a genuine VW SD card isn't a file or folder), so you're sure you're starting with a clean card.

Copy everything from the unzipped location to the SD card. It should have a MAPS folder at the top level, followed by 2 folders below it EEC and 00

See if this resolves the issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good evening, sorry for the delay in getting back to you both.
I downloaded direct from VW as recommended by Richard, as I have no older copies of the map to roll back to as suggested by Steve.
Yet another marathon of trial and error.

I have now got it working, but don't know which bundle I have installed!
The bundles that contain UK, 2, 6 and 7, all have the same file name, DiscoverMedia2_EU1_V16.7z, which makes for a lot of confusion.

I don't really want to go through this again, I must have gone out to my car for testing purposes about 10 times.

·
Administrator
2,370 Posts
Well done, at least you now have it working.

·
Administrator
2,370 Posts
Unfortunately, this is the future of cars, you now need IT skills just to use them, and while many are capable of browsing and email, downloading copying unzipping etc is a stretch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts