VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post here.

I bought a used 2013 1.4 TSI (160) 4-motion that had done 80kkm this april (2017) and after 3 weeks the first issue with EPC light and flashing CEL appeared.

After running a couple of minutes, (car had been sitting a few hours, fairweather maybe 10-12 degrees celcius outside) and going on the on ramp for the freeway the car started shaking violently, as it does when misfires, and after a quick on off cycle the problem disappeared briefly and then came back. Power cycle again and car ran fine from there.

In EU (at least sweden) we have a 6 months window after purchase that if any fault presents itself in that period, it's considered a hidden fault and should in many cased be fixed by the dealer unless the fault is stated when the car is bought or the fault can be filed under normal wear.

I contacted the dealer since I didn't feel like this was normal and he let us take te car to a shop that diagnosed the fault which was misfires on a single cylinder, fault codes attached. Coil pack was replaced with a non OEM brand. The dealer also implied that coils are wear parts and we should pay for the service but I persisted and they paid out of "good will".

Not related to this problem but still funny/sad, when the technichian changed the coil pack, they also ripped out a vacuum hose so the next morning the CEL light was on and idle was through the roof. Easy fix but still...

Summer came and the car didn't see much use, just a few trips here and there but in august it happened again. Pretty much the same story, same conditions other than the car was warm this time. It has since happened a third time, every time with the same fault codes.

The car apparently had an episode with the previous owner, it lost power and was sluggish so he took it in and they replaced the turbo and cam chain. Water pump was also recently replaced under warranty.

So after this wall of text, my question is; what could it be? I didnt let the dealer look at it, for obvious reasons, I've instead contacted the local VW service point but they couldn't say for sure (of course) but mentioned injectors. I did get quite suspicious when I asked how much an injector replacement would cost me, he said that a single injector was 5-600 euros. And then of course the labour on top. Right. I hope I misunderstood and he ment all 4 injectors but still 4 injectors for 600 seems steep.

I didn't want to leave it there for service since they seemed eager to start throwing parts at the car rather than troubleshooting and testing.

So to sum it up, new (2000 km driven) coil, plugs 7000km, what's you guys's opinion? Injector? Anything else?

I just wanted to get someone else's opinion before sending it for repair and hopefully avoiding beeing ripped off by these part-swapping pirates...

Also, the dealer states that "since the fault wasn't there when they sold the car, they will not fix it for free". I've taken up a dispute with them but that's another story :|

Thanks in advance!

/Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan TSi
2 Posts
Hi Daniel,
Sounds like a similar problem I’ve had with mine that I only got a week and a half ago (also used).
Did you ever find out what the problem was?

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
We don't get that motor here. It it sounds like the issue I had. It was the hose that runs from the oil separator/ PCV unit to tht intake. The hose had a leak and caused many issues, it finally let go triggering a ton of codes then a no start. The hose had split right where it connected to the PCV. After getting a used one blow off, I replaced it with silicone hose and clamps. Haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: Old Dog
1 - 3 of 3 Posts