VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we?ve hit the green button and orderd a new Tig with quite a few Factory Fitted options, a quick search around the few of the well known insurance companies has shown that this can be a bit of a mine field, in that:-

- Some insurers class Factory Fitted options as a modification and other don?t.

- In the event of a write off some insurers use the glasses guide book price (which presumably ignores factory fitted extras)

- In the event of a write off some insurers don?t run the New for Old in 1st 12 months scheme.

We?ll probably go with one of the direct line group of companies, as experience with them in the event of a claim has been fair & sensible, also in anycase we?ll probably have GAP insurance for the 1st few years and confirm with our chosen company with all declared factory fitted options, but does anyone know of a insurance company which has a clear policy on factory fitted options in that in the event of a total loss you won?t be out of pocket much!

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Jon,

Good post - If I'm completely honest I must admit I've never checked
. I do all my insurance via my business insurance broker which normally takes a 1 minute call and he sorts it. Now you've posted this I'm going to check my own policy

Cheers

Kaine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Jon

My insurance is with Churchill and they wanted to know about all the factory fitted options. You mentioned briefly GAP insurance, most dealers are pushing this with it seems huge mark ups. I was quated ?449 from the dealer I purchased my Tiguan from, so did some searching on the internet and got gap insurance for 3 years up to ?10,000 for ?105.
Louis.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
louis said:
Hi Jon

My insurance is with Churchill and they wanted to know about all the factory fitted options.
Louis.
Did they increase the premium by much?

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,727 Posts
Man they make you jump through hoops in GB don't they !!! In NZ you insure the vehicle for the purchase price (which of course includes all the extras, even those fitted by the dealer) and then for the first year at least (some allow more than a year) you get a new replacement vehicle if it's a write off. After that it's taken on a market value figure which is set by an assessor and usually they'll take any extras etc into account. You can even insure for an "agreed amount" if you are old (like me
) and have a good record with the insurance company involved.

Your insurance costs are pretty high too aren't they ? In New Zealand my current NZ$35000 (agreed replacement cost) vehicle costs NZ$460 (about GB160) a year to insure !!! the new Tiga will probably add about 50% to that I expect.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Jon

They didnt mention any difference in the prices but have just had my renewal quote qnd its gone up,they are now wanting ?
?360 which is about ?100 dearer than the cheapest quote ive managed to find on a comparison site.

Just to update you I rang insurance company today and asked about factory fitted options. They say that anything that is not standard to the spec you have (SE SPORT ETC) will incure a premium increase. The options I have are Panoramic roof and Park assist these options increased premium by ?40.

Another point to add is I rang ADMIRAL for a quote and it seems there database does not have the AUTO models listed and because the guy on the phone had to change the Transmission section on his computer to show my vehicle is an AUTO it added almost ?8 to the quote. To say I was miffed and annoyed is putting it lightly. Having to do a lot more shopping around for my insurance provider now. GUTTED.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Jon

They didnt mention any difference in the prices but have just had my renewal quote qnd its gone up,they are now wanting ?
?360 which is about ?100 dearer than the cheapest quote ive managed to find on a comparison site.

Just to update you I rang insurance company today and asked about factory fitted options. They say that anything that is not standard to the spec you have (SE SPORT ETC) will incure a premium increase. The options I have are Panoramic roof and Park assist these options increased premium by ?40.

Another point to add is I rang ADMIRAL for a quote and it seems there database does not have the AUTO models listed and because the guy on the phone had to change the Transmission section on his computer to show my vehicle is an AUTO it added almost ?8 to the quote. To say I was miffed and annoyed is putting it lightly. Having to do a lot more shopping around for my insurance provider now. GUTTED.
Louis

Who did you get you GAP insurance from?

Our dealer was quoting ?250 for three years, NFU Mutual include 2 years if owned from new at no extra cost; but their premiums are 15% higher, car gets delivered in 3 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts