VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a Second Hand radio and taken it to an Auto electrician to have installed. He informed me that it needed to be re-set with the security code related to my car. Is this the case and how can this be done.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,441 Posts
The code is stored in the car using programming. You can get the code from VW with the device serial number,nthe code will have to entered into the car with VCDS or maybe OBDeleven.
There are several older discussions on here covering all this.

·
Registered
2011 Tiguan R-Line
55 Posts
Have a similar issue @tricky
Is this code the SKC that came printed on a plastic tag and where given to customers with the keys upon purchasing a new car?
Back in the days that is. Not newer cars.

Sent from my potato via Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
It's possible, with other cars, if the radio lost power on reconnection you would enter the code through the display and buttons. With the canbus system the system is quite different: The code is written into the car control module (BCM possibly), the head unit asks the car and the car responds with the code.
You don't get given the code with a new VW, you're never going to have to know it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible, with other cars, if the radio lost power on reconnection you would enter the code through the display and buttons. With the canbus system the system is quite different: The code is written into the car control module (BCM possibly), the head unit asks the car and the car responds with the code.
You don't get given the code with a new VW, you're never going to have to know it.
Unless of course your radio dies and you want to install a second hand one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just established that in Austrralia VW has not yet opened up their code information systems to non VW mechanical workshops as required by recent Australian Government Legislation. Therefor the only way at present is via a VW dealership. Most other European Car companies have provided access. VW is holding back I am told.

·
Administrator
2,441 Posts
Tha outs you in a no win situation. Why were you putting it in, have you a fault with the current one?

There are several threads ln here regarding installing alternate head units successfully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts