VW Tiguan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Tiguan Allspace 2021 for only 2 days now. So far all is good except that I'm unable to connect my phone to the car.
I tried with bluetooth and with cable, nothing works.

I have an iPhone 12 and an iPhone XS Max and I tried both. The problem is the same on both phones.

Bluetooth:
When sitting in my car I can see the bluetooth device but when I tap on it nothing happens until it times out and my phone tells me that it's unable to connect.
I can repeat this forever, it's always acting the same. So it looks like the car's bluetooth is discoverable but it's not accepting any connection.

Searching on the internet I found a page that tells me that I need to hit the "PHONE" button in the car first.

But something is strange about this. When I start the car and hit the "PHONE" button I always get a "please wait" (translated) message on the top of the display but it seem to stay there forever. This message stays there even when I hit other buttons like "NAV", "CAR" or "MENU" and while it's there I can't use the infotainmentsystem anymore. It keeps telling me to wait but it doesn't seem to finish whatever it's willing to do.

The only button that fixes this is the "MEDIA" button. When I press the "MEDIA" button the "please wait" (translated) message disappears and everything is working again (nav, car, menu, ....)

When I hit the "PHONE" button again the "please wait" message is not coming back but then it tells me "please enable bluetooth" (translated) and it presents me with a button, or at least something that looks like it (rectangle) saying "enable bluetooth" (translated). But hitting it doesn't do anything. It doesn't respond.

If I turn off the car and back on. Every single time I first hit the "PHONE" button the "please wait" (translated) messages comes back and it dissapears only by hitting the "MEDIA" button.

I tried everything I can think of but I'm unable to connect using bluetooth.

Cable:

So, since bluetooth isn't working I tried with a cable. I used a USB-C <> lightning cable from Apple (original cable) and when inserted into the USB port the car shows a popup asking me what to do. The only option I'm presented with is "CarPlay".

When I hit the carplay option it shows a message telling me it's connecting and "please check if confirmation is required on the mobile device" (translated).
On my mobile device nothing happens. It's not asking anything. And after a while it times out the car tells me it's unable to connect.

So I'm unable to connect with cable or bluetooth and I'm unsure what to do?

·
Registered
2010 Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4Motion R-line 177HP
196 Posts
Try going to settings, then car play on your iPhone. As the car is new i would book back with the dealer just in case theres a problem.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,024 Posts
Akke, welcome to our very friendly and knowledgeable forum, (though maybe for this topic less so) The latest models from mid 20 had a new head unit, MIB3 and there have been lots of issues with connecting, primary user registration and other with this head unit. Along with this, it's quite a bit different from the previous model, but VW seem to have provided very little information on it, including to the dealers.

Hopefully a member with a 20/21 model with this head unit may chime in to help, I would suggest reverting to the dealer who should have helped you set it up before leaving.

This head unit is common across all models, so maybe also reach out on other forums, there's one dedicated for Tiguan mk2, T-Cross, T-Roc, Golf and Passat. They'll all have topics on this head unit, though I haven't head your particular issue to date.

·
myTiguan Master
4,719 Posts
I've had 3 Mk2 Tigs and never had any issues connecting either Iphone 11's or 12 max, so I think you may have a problem with the Tigs BT IMHO.

Mick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are the iPhones showing on the car info screen when you try them?
Are they on the screen when you don’t try to connect them?
I am thinking you may need to clear the ones on the screen and start from fresh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a fault somewhere but the dealer doesn't know what the problem is.

The car had to stay with the dealer for a day while they investigate the problem. In the end of the day they were unable to fix it and they sent an email to Volkswagen asking for further assistance. No response on that yet.

·
Administrator
3,182 Posts
The new 2021 models are having this issue. Let us know what they find out. A few members are fighting this.

·
Administrator
Volvo XC40, formerly 2015 match 177ps 4mo DSG
2,024 Posts
Some, not all. Don't know if it was covid got in the way, but mid last year they introduced a heavily revised head unit. Only trouble was no one customer facing knows the first thing about it. Also a lot of the back end functionality just doesn't work.

E.G. All new head units are navigation CAPABLE, those in models where it's not standard could be activated by buying an activation code. Trouble is one of the first to try this, in the T-Cross forum I seem to recall, it never worked. The dealership couldn't get it to work, and in the end they ordered a replacement car configured in the factory to actually fulfil his order. They're also supposed to download map updates 'over the air' this hadn't worked to date either.

Lots of other niggles like registering primary user. And messages about privacy every time you start the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts